Are all the Sweatshop stores closing?

4 watchers
Jun 2017
11:51am, 21 Jun 2017
5,784 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
Seems odd to buy the chain only to then close it? They only became majority shareholder 2 or 3 years ago.
Jun 2017
11:59am, 21 Jun 2017
6,181 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
My understanding is a lot of premium brands were reluctant to be carried in SD stores as its a downmarket shop. If you're a premium brand you don't want to be sold in a chav shop!

SD solution has been to buy the brand or in Sweatshops case buy the main running retail competitor to try and force the brand to do business with you
Jul 2018
12:31pm, 3 Jul 2018
First-time poster!!
  •  
MIKE
I have heard that the reason Sports Direct have closed most of them now is because most Sweatshops are in rented properties and SD prefer to own them. Sports Direct started buying into Sweatshop around 2008/9 and were actually listed as the parent company since then. After some initial cash injection they seem to have cooled on Sweatshop, possibly because of their relatively high operating costs.
Jul 2018
11:55am, 15 Jul 2018
6,077 posts
  •  
Jono.
Sports direct is okay for some kit - very limited choice of shoes. You get what you pay for.
Jul 2018
2:06pm, 15 Jul 2018
3,967 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
The Managing Director jumped to parkrun so he probably saw where the benevolent leadership of SD was leading. We never had a Sweatshop in northern Scotland, and I remember the Glasgow one as being pretty hard to get to.

Long live Run4It who still give us a full service running store chain in Scotland.
Jul 2018
2:12pm, 15 Jul 2018
13,060 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Interesting first post MIKE, welcome to Fetch. I'd imagine Sweatshop as a more premium outlet for SD and an attempt to see if they could also own the top end and in the current economic climate it just isn't working.
Jul 2018
2:24pm, 15 Jul 2018
30,784 posts
  •  
Night-owl
That's interesting Mike. Take Lakeside shopping centre SD are closing the shop there (rented) and moving out to the retail park not sure if its rent or buy but I expect the later

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by -x-x-
I ask this because the Cambridge branch is closing and noticed yesterday that the Peterborough branc...