BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Appetite Suppressants - good thing/bad thing?

6 watchers
Oct 2015
8:42am, 22 Oct 2015
2257 posts
  •  
TnoP
I need to lose some of my girth as I'm in training for VMLM 2016 and have dodgy knees. The training will undoubterdly help but I really, really like my food! I've thought about appetite suppressants (only natural ones) but wonder if a) do they work and b) is it a good idea?
Has anyone used them and what was the result?
Thanks
Oct 2015
9:00am, 22 Oct 2015
6332 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
I don't have any specific knowledge of appetite suppressants and associated outcome data but I wouldn't. Natural supplements are subject to a different standard of regulation compared to medicines. The former do not need to prove efficacy or be tested as rigorously, and often they word their publicity carefully do as to not really make any claims other than anecdotal support. They probably won't harm you (although there are sad cases of runners being badly affected by supplements, I don't know how common this is though), they may do little above the placebo effect. Which isn't to be knocked - a carefully priced and provided placebo is a powerful thing.

If you mean medicines, then they will have proven efficacy, but you need to talk to a doctor about that, not us numpties.

What do you think are the chances that a reliable safe cheap aid to permanent weight loss exists and can be bought over the counter and it's not on the news or being dished out by the NHS though?

Others may be more positive. I'm sceptical about this stuff.
Oct 2015
9:07am, 22 Oct 2015
5428 posts
  •  
Jambomo
I have always been warned away from these things by my parents but I must admit to having wondered if such things do work. I am afraid I can't give an answer but I watch the thread with interest!
Oct 2015
9:11am, 22 Oct 2015
5300 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Speed is £10 / gram from your local drug dealer.

Should help with your times too ;-)
Oct 2015
9:20am, 22 Oct 2015
5301 posts
  •  
Too Much Water

Oct 2015
9:20am, 22 Oct 2015
5302 posts
  •  
Too Much Water

Oct 2015
9:32am, 22 Oct 2015
3145 posts
  •  
ndellar
I would be very wary of any pills or supplements I'm afraid, from the doctor or not. Many years ago before I ran, I tried herbal type things labelled for that purpose from health food shops and it never really made a difference.

The only thing that ever truly works for me is strictly cutting out the rubbish (I think people underestimate calories in and overestimate calories burned so in my experience running isn't a license toe eat everything unfortunately and I can quite easily consume a parkruns worth of running calories in cake in the 5 mins after the run...).

I find having some decent chunks of protein in my meals helps me feel full until the next meal. Interestingly having lost a bit of weight (1 3/4 st) in the run up to Chester, I found the weeks where I ate loads (of good stuff) were the weeks I lost more lbs. Not sure suppressing appetite is the way to go, but I still lurk with interest here.
Oct 2015
9:35am, 22 Oct 2015
5839 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Reducing sugar and "white carbs" and alcohol calories and then increasing the proportion of fat, protein and leafy green veg seems to work for me* - when I can stick to it**.

I couldn't do the full LCHF thing that seems to work well for some people, but trying to reduce calories going low fat just leaves me starving hungry!

* carbs for fueling around long runs
** I find it hard to stick to and cook and shop for the family - and am struggling with motivation at the moment.
Oct 2015
9:52am, 22 Oct 2015
1747 posts
  •  
Wazelle
I tried the prescribed ones and the herbal ones after I put on 4 stone in a year after my Nan died. (I tend to eat non stop when I am upset). I went to a diet clinic for the prescribed ones. It was expensive and they had side effects. The main one for me was that I felt that my heart and my mind were racing - not in a good way - all the time, even when I was trying to sleep. It felt a bit like pre-exam nerves. Felt like I was going mad. It also was not cheap.

I also tried the ones that make fat pass through. I thought they were disgusting and did not help with runners tummy! Dangerous urgency. It makes my bottom wink to write this.

I have tried the herbal ones too; Acai, Garcinia Cambogia, Chromium Picolinate. They are expensive, but don't seem to have side effects. They may not work in terms of suppressing hunger - I am still hungry if I take these, but I don't feel starving, which might be the placebo effect.

There is evidence that eating more protein calories rather than carbohydrate calories keeps you feeling fuller for longer. There is also evidence that people tend to eat the same weight of food each day, to some extent irrespective of the actual calorie content, therefore eating heavy, high water content, lower calorie dense foods really does make sense because you will tend to eat fewer calories without much efffort. Think soups and vegetables. If you eat the same meal as a soup, just with added water, you will feel hungry later than if you eat exactly the same calories as a meal.

The hard bit is that to lose weight you have to have a calorie deficit, and you might feel hungry at times. I don't know any way around that. Good Luck! xxx
Oct 2015
9:58am, 22 Oct 2015
25348 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
I wouldn't use any of these things. I've been doing the 5:2 diet since June and have gone down from just over 14st to 12.5st. I also cut out all the crap I was eating. It hasn't been too hard and those two fasting days are ok now.

Running has become a whole lot easier! :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by TnoP
I need to lose some of my girth as I'm in training for VMLM 2016 and have dodgy knees. The training...