Anyone use their Garmin for monitoring sleep?

7 watchers
Nov 2017
11:08am, 21 Nov 2017
5,204 posts
  •  
sallykate
I occasionally use a phone app for monitoring my sleep but thought my Garmin 735 might be more accurate, especially as I've been wearing it at night to check waking HR.

However, I've failed to get anything at all from it for the two nights I've tried and I'm not sure why - there is a lot of dissatisfaction with the function if I Google it but also people who are using it perfectly happily.

Has anyone here used a Garmin for checking sleep? It's supposed to upload light / deep sleep times to Connect when you sync. I just get a grey line and it appears to think I wasn't wearing the thing. As a last resort I'll reset the thing to see if that helps.
Nov 2017
11:20am, 21 Nov 2017
13,296 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
I get deep/light/awake with mine (vivoactive 3) but I'm not convinced how accurate it is - sometimes I know I'm awake and it counts it as light sleep (e.g if my alarm goes off and I spend 15 minutes in bed playing on my phone before getting up it often still thinks I'm asleep, it only really counts me as awake if I've got up to go the the loo. I also find that if I sit on the sofa for an hour or so before bed it thinks that is light sleep too).

What I find more interesting is that the stress scores I get from the vivoactive do seem to correlate more closely with the quality of my sleep.
Nov 2017
11:24am, 21 Nov 2017
1,952 posts
  •  
StuHolmes
My 920XT uploads my sleep patterns to Connect, not sure how much I believe it though. One day last week it had me sleeping until 11:00am, I started work at 9!
Nov 2017
11:27am, 21 Nov 2017
35 posts
  •  
Zen Jetman Plurp
I use it with a 920 and most of the time it works, with the occasional blank night on Garmin Connect. Occasionally it misinterprets the sleep window and it's only shown correctly when the sleep time is edited: e.g. it originally shows 3pm - midnight when the actual sleep was 11pm - 7am. Taking the watch off for a time can add to the confusion.

Are you syncing with Bluetooth or a cradle? I've found that Bluetooth syncing with the Android app is haphazard and often needs two passes to sync running and sleep.
Nov 2017
11:49am, 21 Nov 2017
5,205 posts
  •  
sallykate
Thanks everyone.

I've been syncing using the app (iOS). It seems to get my wake time right but sleep time was totally wrong (actually that might be because I wasn't wearing it all day).

Yesterday it was about 6 hours out timewise but I have no idea why. And today when I synced it froze (as it sometimes does) & then put its own time back by three hours.

Will persevere and try a couple of days of continuous wearing - though if I have to resort to that I might get a more comfortable tracker as I don't like wearing it all day.
Nov 2017
2:22pm, 21 Nov 2017
1,184 posts
  •  
Weean
I misread 'sleep' as 'sheep' when I saw this thread, and expected Fellrunning to be the sole contributor.

Sorry, nothing constructive to add, it just tickled me.
Nov 2017
2:35pm, 21 Nov 2017
5,206 posts
  •  
sallykate
Proper LOL at that! I now have visions of sheep roaming around with Vivofits on their ankles...
Nov 2017
3:49pm, 21 Nov 2017
8,838 posts
  •  
Badger
I use my F5 for sleep tracking, and it is on the whole pretty good, as long as I don't stay awake too long after going to bed or laze around too much after waking up. Last night it said 00:50-07:51, which was very close to the truth (and I got a lot done in that last hour when I should have been in bed...).

It does help keep me honest about going to bed at reasonable hours. Resting heart rate overnight seems like a good guide to my state - last two nights of very sound sleep - 55bpm, Sat night of disturbed sleep after many beers at a birthday party - 70 bpm - which is unusually high! Fully-rested and fit it'd be a beat or two below 55.
Nov 2017
3:50pm, 21 Nov 2017
14,047 posts
  •  
Fenners
TomTom does the same sleep monitoring.
Nov 2017
5:39pm, 21 Nov 2017
2,212 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I’d probably spend all night looking at it to see if I’d fallen asleep 😴

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
I occasionally use a phone app for monitoring my sleep but thought my Garmin 735 might be more accur...