Anyone ran after discovering an irregular heart beat?

5 watchers
Jan 2012
8:10am, 12 Jan 2012
523 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
It was a Mojave Diamond Back Rattlesnake.

Fortunately it was a juvenile, otherwise I'm told at the very least I'd be typing this one handed. The problem was that I was a couple of miles from the hotel (I use the term loosley) that we were staying at, and although I was close to a road the only vehicle I saw didn't stop (Frankly neither would I). By the time I got back the venom was well into my system, and although I got immediate and first class medical help the damage was done.

For someone who works with animals I see to have an awful lot of bad luck with them. At the moment I'm hovering rather than sitting as one of my rams took exception to being seperated from his harem, and literally made his point with those curly horns of his.
Jan 2012
8:33am, 12 Jan 2012
20,786 posts
  •  
cabletow
Just to throw a spanner in the works - Your cough could also represent cardiac decompensation - therefore I would advise against running till we know your cardiac function is OK

Again I am assuming as PH has done that this is sudden onset AF. Are we sure that you have a definate Chest infection or is your cough a marker of failure. Sorry but caution has to be paramount whne diagnosing and advising over the internet - Your doc is much better placed than we.
Jan 2012
11:45am, 12 Jan 2012
1,991 posts
  •  
El sombrero
Thanks Rich.

Fellrunning, that's scary - it sounds like you had a close call there!

Cabletow - I've been to the doctor today and the chest infection has now gone and I've been given the all-clear to start some easy running but need to wait until I've seen the cardiologist tomorrow. I wasn't trying to get a diagnosis of what I have, I was simply asking if anyone else had experienced getting back to running after having an irregular heartbeat. I completely agree that I need to get expert advice and really appreciate your comments.

So, providing everything goes ok tomorrow (I'm due to get results of the CT scan) then I plan to go for a very short run at the weekend and will be back at work on Monday. I still have a little cough, but it's just a dry cough and the doc said to just drink warm drinks and suck on some cough sweets to sooth my throat.
Sep 2012
11:16am, 7 Sep 2012
219 posts
  •  
joint ear
So what happened then El S - looks liek yiou're runnign again which must mean good news?

I've had occasional tachycardia for years, but have been noticing drops in HR too when running, they soon correct themselves, but have finally seen a consultanct who says I've got a short PR interval on my ECG (points to accessory pathway) and is the likely cause of both symptoms apparently - "Rentry Tachycardia" was mentioned. To be honest the tachycardia is not really an issue, it happens less than once a month and I can stop it myself.

I'm all safe to keep running, which is good news - I even get to log some training miles on a hospital treadmill soon for a details observation of the oddness.

Still be interested in what you medical experts may think about how it can may affect my runnig as I get at least one HR drop from say 160 to 120 every mile (I don't notice them all but my garmin does) and if I should go for option one do nothing - or option 3 catheter ablation (I'm rulling out the middle option of beta blockers!).
Sep 2012
11:21am, 7 Sep 2012
44,382 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Joint Ear, I would not take beta blockers either, but they arent the only drug used for this problem
To me the ablation would seem the best option as it offers a potential cure and hopefully drugs too

However if you are fine and not to botheerd by all of this and can do everything you want than do nothing works too!

I think El som had a cardio version
Sep 2012
12:13pm, 7 Sep 2012
3,516 posts
  •  
Sombrero
I had cardio version 3 times which didn't work. They said my resting heart rate was a lot lower than average (due to running) and this may have had something to do with it.

Throughout the treatment (warfarin) I did easy running to keep my sanity. During a run one day, I just had a gut feeling my heart was ok - had to pop in the docs for repeat prescription and asked them to check me. Heart was back to normal, no-one's sure why. A bit of a mystery but I'm back running and have already broken my 5k pb.

JE, Plodding Hippo is a great source of info - she was more help to me than the hospital!
:-)
R4R
Sep 2012
3:29pm, 7 Sep 2012
1,583 posts
  •  
R4R
Haven't run for 6 months. Have AF and fainted a couple of times while out running, so decided to quit before serious consequences.

Having PVI on Monday, so should be up and running again in a few weeks if all goes to plan
Sep 2012
4:03pm, 7 Sep 2012
16,777 posts
  •  
macca53
remind us what the issues are with beta blockers hipps (or any of the other docs on here)?
Sep 2012
4:15pm, 7 Sep 2012
44,399 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
they slow your heart rate down and stop your heart rate goin up in response to exercise.so can be hard to run on them
also lower blood pressure
Can make asthma woarse and arent very good for chaps in the bedroom dept
Sep 2012
4:18pm, 7 Sep 2012
44,400 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Can you tell i dont like them?

They are vey good for BP control andprevent second heart attacks if you have had one and are also given to improve survival after heart failure(which is somnething I had to relearn a few years ago.When I ws a baby doc we were taught they made heart failure worse)

About This Thread

Maintained by Sombrero
I've been in hospital the last couple of nights, they've let me out for the night to get some slee...