Anyone know anything about guitars

3 watchers
Dec 2015
8:37pm, 8 Dec 2015
6,428 posts
  •  
Duchess
I will second the recommendation for Guitar Guitar. I went in looking for a present for a colleague win the bare information that he was into his guitars. I came away with a custom strap to match a guitar his wife had just bought him (thank goodness for electronic customer records) that reduced him to delighted speechlessness.
Dec 2015
8:41pm, 8 Dec 2015
18,884 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
"One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz" Lou Reed R.I.P.
Dec 2015
8:56pm, 8 Dec 2015
6,036 posts
  •  
Garfield
Chuckles at DT's comment!

Hubby's started playing guitar this year. It would be good to ask if he has a preferred guitar (though that could be a slippery slope, depending on what he might want). I've played other instruments in the past and know how instruments can be a very personal thing like one of the earlier comments made.
Dec 2015
9:39pm, 8 Dec 2015
6,255 posts
  •  
Badger
Ovation are thoroughly decent electro acoustics. I strongly agree with the folk saying he should have some say in the instrument - you could buy him something with absolutely rave reviews and find that it's not comfortable for him to play - neck width, fingerboard material, neck shape, shape of the back of the guitar, cutaways or lack of, tone quality are all pretty personal.

I bought an acoustic for 74 quid just before going to college - that was my last week's pay from the summer job - and I still own it and gig it regularly. Never found anything that suits me better. It's currently wearing a pickup which cost a *lot* more than 74 quid.
EdJ
Dec 2015
11:26pm, 8 Dec 2015
140 posts
  •  
EdJ
My experience is in buying pianos and saxophones rather than guitars - but another vote here for giving him a chance to try it. If you want to surprise him on the day, might be worth seeing with the shop whether they would be happy for him to come back and try some others if he doesn't fall in love with it straight away. Given that he's not a complete beginner I'd also avoid buying a really cheap one (unless he really really likes it) - he'll either want a better one within a year, or just won't use it.
Dec 2015
9:32am, 9 Dec 2015
332 posts
  •  
andydgg
Squire for a strat and Epiphone for a les paul. Don't bother with anything else. Don't even look at semi acoustic, they're rubbish...they don't play well without an amp and are more for looks or a certain sound ie stray cat thwang... you can't go wrong with a squire or a epi, you can buy with confidence online.
Dec 2015
9:38am, 9 Dec 2015
333 posts
  •  
andydgg
gak.co.uk
gak.co.uk

I'd use gak as a starting point for prices and what's available, you have to beware if you go to ebay becuase there's a lot of chinese fakes out there that are rubbish, some are good though. But play safe and pay a little extra to buy from a trusted source and you can't go wrong, les paul custom is my recommendation. had mine for years and still like new. Epiphone is Gibson only a fifth of the price, Squire is Fender only a fifth of the price, most won't pay the extra for Gibson or Fender, the guitars are just as good and you're paying extra for the name.
Dec 2015
9:41am, 9 Dec 2015
334 posts
  •  
andydgg
gak.co.uk
Dec 2015
10:38am, 9 Dec 2015
6,256 posts
  •  
Badger
OP said electro acoustic, not semi acoustic. Not the same thing.
Dec 2015
11:45am, 9 Dec 2015
335 posts
  •  
andydgg
electro acoustic should be just an acoustic with a pick up...and most electro-acoustic look suspicously like semis anyway would have thought any non guitarist would think electro-acoustic was a semi-acoustic, wouldn't touch either; you can get a decent acoustic for under a hundred but, squire strat or epi les paul then an amp, is the way to go.

About This Thread

Maintained by Big Al Widepants
Thinking about getting my boy an electro acoustic for his Christmas. He's not a beginner musician a...