Anyone know anything about guitars

3 watchers
Dec 2015
2:50pm, 8 Dec 2015
4,602 posts
  •  
Big Allelujah Widepants
Thinking about getting my boy an electro acoustic for his Christmas. He's not a beginner musician and plays bass guitar plus other stuff. I don't know what's good and would benefit from a expert's guidance. Ta
Dec 2015
3:24pm, 8 Dec 2015
16,759 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I don't know anything about guitars sorry, but whenever we get stuff for K's boys, the music shop are often happy to give some guidance.
Dec 2015
3:27pm, 8 Dec 2015
1,291 posts
  •  
Spleen
Have you asked him?

It sounds like one of those gifts where spoiling the surprise is less important than getting something that he will appreciate. Given how expensive guitars are and how important the preference of the guitarist is.
Dec 2015
3:28pm, 8 Dec 2015
9,338 posts
  •  
Star
yeah, I would ask for info from him. you know how fussy us runners can get with all our little favourite brands and toys.
Dec 2015
3:41pm, 8 Dec 2015
7,744 posts
  •  
Shark the Herald Angel
I'd agree with the others, especailly as you say he's not a beginner and it sounds like he's generally musical. All my guitars are very personal things, they're all solid body rather than semi accoustic but I do know that a Rickenbacker fan might not not be quite as keen on a Gibson for instance (I'm a bit out of date but you get the picture.)
Dec 2015
5:02pm, 8 Dec 2015
791 posts
  •  
Surelynot
Agree with all of the above comments. Guitars are very personal as STHA says.

Find out what his preference would be. Ask one of his mates if you want to maintain the suprise element.

GuitarGuitar is a good shop on St John's Road, Corstorphine. Good prices, lots of great advice and good range fo stock.

Now then. Anyone know anything about drums?
Dec 2015
7:01pm, 8 Dec 2015
627 posts
  •  
Gromit
I've been told ovation by my guitar playing OH :-)
Dec 2015
7:55pm, 8 Dec 2015
4,352 posts
  •  
Dai Bank
Both my sons have Ovation electro acoustics, they think it,s a good brand with a reasonable variety of price points
Dec 2015
8:03pm, 8 Dec 2015
1,803 posts
  •  
Pedro_Perez
Been playing say I was a about 11 and the answer VERY much depends on your budget, if someone asked me at 13 what guitar I REALLY wanted I would have said "Les Paul Standard please!" and that will £2399 in today's money.

Spend as much as you can afford is my best piece of advice because a 100 quid guitar from Argos plays like a 100 quid guitar from Argos. :-)

Its alway good to play them before you purchase in my opinion, things like the action, size (full or half body, cut out or not), neck type and so are are so very different and you can surprise yourself with what you like.

I play a Takamine acoustic, they are GREAT and I also play a Les Paul Standard and an Ibanez Prestige BUT I am paying the bills. :-) I didnt play these until I was in my late 20's.

When I was younger Yamaha made some GREAT guitars, I got a brand new Pacifica electric for Christmas one year and I LOVED it that was after years of buying shit second hand guitars with dodgy necks and setups.

gak.co.uk ARE GREAT, they give fab service and I have bought Guitars, Amps and Keyboards from them over the years. Good price too.

BUT see if he has a favourite, he may have played a friends guitar that he loves, he may already have his eye on one, you never know.
Dec 2015
8:08pm, 8 Dec 2015
1,804 posts
  •  
Pedro_Perez
Ohh....that may have come across wrong, you DONT need to spend over two grand for a nice guitar, a lot of the stuff on the Les Paul for example is over the top, mother of pearl fret inlays and the expensive wood/finish are not needed to make a great guitar. I have played some stonking guitars for less then 100 quid......!

AND remember, to sound like Jim Hendrix you must first play like Jimi Hendrix if you catch my drift. :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Big Al Widepants
Thinking about getting my boy an electro acoustic for his Christmas. He's not a beginner musician a...