Anyone know anything about guitars

3 watchers
Dec 2015
12:04pm, 9 Dec 2015
16,834 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I've never got the chance to own a decent guitar. I've played for, it turns out, 29 years man and boy. Obvs, early on, I got a reasonably simple guitar that I could learn on, then subsequently, going to guitar shops I always found myself a little overwhelmed by the thought of sitting, playing various instruments and finding the one I liked best, as I felt like I was on audition surrounded by people who maybe had less talent than me, but had more time to practice, working, as they did, in a guitar shop.

In fact, I'm ashamed to say I've never played it for any kind of audience.

Buying a guitar if you're a decent musician is, however, like buying running shoes. You can't just pick a price point and order what you like the look of. Different machines have different characteristics, and something as simple as the shape of the neck will affect its playability if the player has long or short fingers and such like.
Dec 2015
6:36pm, 9 Dec 2015
527 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I've had a Yamaha e/a guitar for several years and am very pleased with it. A lot will depend on your budget, and as has been said earlier, your son's preference. My daughter had a Crafter which is good value, and Takamine & Washburn also make nice instruments.
My Yamaha has a microphone in the body as well as the pick up. Adjusting the level of the microphone can make the amplified sound more natural than when just using the pick up. I'd recommend buying a guitar with this option if with budget.
Dec 2015
10:58am, 14 Dec 2015
4,603 posts
  •  
Big Allelujah Widepants
thanks for all the help everyone
Dec 2015
12:21pm, 14 Dec 2015
1,538 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know what you bought (if anything) in the end!
Dec 2015
1:20pm, 14 Dec 2015
4,604 posts
  •  
Big Allelujah Widepants
Nothing yet...will let you all know!
Jan 2016
4:01pm, 5 Jan 2016
1,814 posts
  •  
Pedro_Perez
Any news? :-)

Had a jam with the sister inlaw on drums over Christmas, I miss being in a band. :-(
Jan 2016
11:07pm, 5 Jan 2016
4,610 posts
  •  
Big Al Widepants
Yes I went with him on the 28th and got him a Finlayson electro acoustic. It was 260 including a hard case. Sounds nice. Ta for the advice. You can see the instrument on Guitar Guitar website.
Jan 2016
11:09pm, 5 Jan 2016
4,611 posts
  •  
Big Al Widepants
It's the black one got a wee bit off 😀
Sep 2016
1:34am, 4 Sep 2016
9,396 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
Visited the Martin factory in Nazareth, Pennsylvania, while on hols. Now obsessed with owning a Martin, though I need to better and richer for that to happen. Also played a Canadian brand called Seagull, which are very good and much more affordable.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Big Al Widepants
Thinking about getting my boy an electro acoustic for his Christmas. He's not a beginner musician a...