Anyone done the Berlin Half before?

1 watcher
Jul 2018
11:35am, 27 Jul 2018
5,225 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Hey guys. Got a friend moving out to Berlin next week. Thought about knocking off another city race wise so looking for anybody who has done this race before to give some feedback. Going to be a bit different to my usual races as Mrs Bloom and mini-Bloom will be in tow, so I may end up looking at the cost of all this and going "nope!" but I want to at least investigate this.

It's listed as Sunday April 7th next year, 49 Euro's currently, and the seem to talk about some kind of test, PAPS, but I can't work out if I need to be at the Expo to do that. Anyway, help please!:

generali-berliner-halbmarathon.de
Jul 2018
12:33pm, 27 Jul 2018
16,388 posts
  •  
Dvorak
The test is online and you complete it before registering. I've just done it. I am told I am either overweight or have a high muscle mass - if the former, I should have a medical check up before training for any running events. A bit late for that, I think.

I did answer "no" to everything, which was nearly all true*: may retry it with different answers. As I have never even heard of tests for German races (and did not need a certificate for any of the four I have run), I think it is probably an advisory thing. After all, if you flunked it, you could always redo it with different answers.

*One question asked if I had ever experienced a high heart rate. Well, duh - several times a week.
Jul 2018
1:12pm, 27 Jul 2018
5,226 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
That all sounds very strange! I will assume it is a German thing.
Jul 2018
5:12pm, 27 Jul 2018
6 posts
  •  
ageingtractor
I did it ten years ago so things may have changed. Certainly don't remember having to do any tests for one but that could be time dimming my memory. The run itself was enjoyable and went through some iconic areas - the start was a bit chaotic but not a showstopper. Mrs tractor also had a good time working her way round Berlin to catch me at various points.
Jul 2018
5:37pm, 27 Jul 2018
25,042 posts
  •  
♪♫ ♪♫ Synge ♪♫ ♪♫
They used to have a similar test for entrants for the Berlin Marathon (and maybe still do). It's an online medical assessment in the form of a questionnaire. Once you have completed it, you move on to the registration process and that's that. I suppose that, if you were to generate abnormal results, this might affect the registration process, but assuming your results are within a normal range, that's the last you'll hear of it.
Jul 2018
9:16am, 31 Jul 2018
5,227 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Sorry for the late response guys. Thanks for the feedback, think we are going to give this race a go!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
Hey guys. Got a friend moving out to Berlin next week. Thought about knocking off another city race ...