Any tips for a commuter wanting to run to work?

20 watchers
MPH
Jan 2015
12:04pm, 14 Jan 2015
551 posts
  •  
MPH
Ran home last night and was a shambles, from waiting for TEN minutes for a GPS signal (if it's not logged what's the point right) , then getting lost, running in circles, unable to follow directions on a black and white map in the dark, getting very wet with incorrect clothes, shambles. Still 10 miles logged and will do again tomorrow...will be better prepared. My OMM Ultra 15 was great though.
Jan 2015
12:25pm, 14 Jan 2015
4,163 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
I'm a bit too far (15 miles) to do it regularly. So I get to work early, run then shower. Also avoiding the heavier traffic.

Work clothes in sports bag, leave shoes / wash bag in my drawer at work to save on taking stuff in. Bring shirts in on Monday. The hardest thing is making sure I remember my towel each morning!
Jan 2015
12:31pm, 14 Jan 2015
57 posts
  •  
Ventilator
Preparation is definitely key. Very first run commute I did, the force of the stuff in my backpack jolting around led to the zip opening. Next thing I knew, people are shouting after me - as I turned around to see what all the fuss was about, I saw someone holding a shirt and pair of trousers that looked suspiciously familiar. Soooooooo embarrassing. Spent the rest of the run holding my rucksack down by my side so that I could keep an eye on it. Valuable lesson learnt there I can tell you!!
MPH
Jan 2015
12:38pm, 14 Jan 2015
552 posts
  •  
MPH
I'm 16 miles from work, so I train a bit of it then run the rest, wish I lived about 6 miles from work, would be ideal!
Jan 2015
12:57pm, 14 Jan 2015
16,286 posts
  •  
DeeGee
It's the simple things that matter. First time I ran home from work, I took all my kit, including my shoes. Basically spent 45 minutes kicking myself in the back.

Then somebody pointed out that as I was wearing running shoes to get home, I could leave my work shoes at work.
Jan 2015
1:02pm, 14 Jan 2015
1,468 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I am about 6miles from work, so it's perfect for me. As YP said on the previous page, I generally do both ways on the same day. I tried to do the 'cycle-run-run-cycle' thing over two days a couple of times, but found having running shoes in my rucsac made the cycle uncomfortable. I probably wouldn't mind it if I left running shoes at work, but I've got used to doing two ways trips now.

Other than that, I think most people have covered it. I leave shoes and a towel pretty much permanently in work, bring trousers in on Monday for the week, and have work t-shirts that can be rolled up in a rucsac without creasing. I'm fortunate there are showers, a changing room (ok a cupboard with 'changing room' written on the door!) and a canteen at work, so I don't need to carry a lot in with me.

The only other thing I find useful is to have something with you to eat about an hour or so before you're due to set off home - especially in the depth of winter it can make starting the run so much harder if hunger pangs set in just before you're about to set off. I generally have a few bananas on my desk for such a purpose.
Jan 2015
1:36pm, 14 Jan 2015
93 posts
  •  
only weak men
Especially agree on the leaving a pair of shoes at work idea - they are quite bulky for a rucksack and can lead to the repeated kicking in the back as DeeGee says.
Jan 2015
1:48pm, 14 Jan 2015
12,456 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
I leave my work shoes, coat and toiletries at work. I have a lockable bike cage where I can keep stuff, or sometimes I use a locker at the gym (you're not meant to use them permanently, but they're fine with leaving stuff in a locker overnight if you empty it again the next day which means I don't need to go into work to get stuff from the bike cage on days when I'm running).
Jan 2015
7:28pm, 14 Jan 2015
7,884 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
one llesson from my first ever run, if like me you take fruit to work, do not take it in your backpack. you will do it once and never again
MPH
Jan 2015
10:51am, 15 Jan 2015
554 posts
  •  
MPH
Ahh, still not learning! Forgot my towel, so had to nip across the road and buy a tea towel "not safe for crockery"

About This Thread

Maintained by arbster
Clearly everyone's situation will be slightly different, but I wonder if any of you who regularly o...