Any tips for a commuter wanting to run to work?

20 watchers
Jan 2015
8:18am, 13 Jan 2015
16,279 posts
  •  
DeeGee
How will you get in the rest of the time?
Jan 2015
8:48am, 13 Jan 2015
23,728 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I don't do it every day, maybe 2 times a week. And I have a choice of full 7.5 from home or shorter 4.5 or 5.5 options if I take my car part way. I can only do as much as that (9, 11 or 15 miles) in a day a couple days a week max. Other days I have a club session and a club track session, and one week day is a rest day, so can't do 5 days.

5 days x 13 miles is a lot of midweek miles - is that the sort of mileage you do just now? If not, then be careful building it up gradually?

Logistics aren't a problem at my work, fortunately. I have a locker for the bulky stuff like shoes, toiletries and suit. Things that need changing: towel, undies and shirt I bring in a rucksack. Even a shirt folded into a rucksack will shake out creases quite nicely. :-) G
rhb
Jan 2015
12:13pm, 13 Jan 2015
679 posts
  •  
rhb
Would be max two days per week, thinking Tues & Fri. Other days will be gentle bike (already do this) occasionally public transport.

No logistics challenge here either am more interested in physiological effects to be wary of etc.
Jan 2015
1:20pm, 13 Jan 2015
16,283 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Now I'm managing to get up in the morning, I've begun to commute again. Thankfully, my wife works at the same place as me, so brings my lunch on commute days.

Monday I drive to work with kit for the full week. Although I don't necessarily run every day, taking Wednesday off usually, it does give me an extra chance to cycle if I feel like it.

Tuesday, Thursday and Friday I run to work. This requires me to get up half an hour earlier than usual and be a bit more prompt with getting myself up, dressed and breakfasted.

Because I get up half an hour earlier than I would if I wasn't running to work, if I feel as if I would benefit from a rest day instead, I can do that.

My biggest issue is simply being organised enough to get lunch sorted the night before and get up and out of the house in time. I'd wussed out of it for the final few months of last year, but I've hit it with a vengeance again and am really enjoying it once more.

I don't think I'd dare use it as a 'session', as I don't feel I'd get the opportunity to warm up properly, but as aerobic mileage it's an easy extra fifteen a week.
Jan 2015
1:20pm, 13 Jan 2015
23,731 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
2 times per week would be very doable, I'd think. Though I have a note in a training log after I'd been doing it once a week, when I increased to twice to say something like, "Ouch, maybe that was a bit much!" So, go carefully! :-) G
Jan 2015
1:27pm, 13 Jan 2015
12,451 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
Mudmeanderer does 2 way commutes (but only once/twice a week and cycles on the other days). Whereas I cycle in, run home, run in, cycle home to give my legs a bit more recovery time.
MPH
Jan 2015
1:27pm, 13 Jan 2015
548 posts
  •  
MPH
Partly spurred on by Southern Rails performance and a lack of desire to go running at 5am (getting up is easy), I'm just starting to run home from work. Not all the way as its 16 miles, but run 10 miles from work to a rail way station en-route and plan to do Tue/Thur. I upgraded my Innov8 12 to the OMM 15 ultra and will use that for my ultras this year. I'm hoping running home is less of a logistical battle, as I just need to get my clothes home, instead of carrying in shower stuff then eating at work etc, as I have no locker here, painfully.
rhb
Jan 2015
2:55pm, 13 Jan 2015
680 posts
  •  
rhb
"cycle in, run home, run in, cycle home"

considering this approach also. Will keep tabs on fatigue if it's too much will cut back.
Jan 2015
3:15pm, 13 Jan 2015
1,116 posts
  •  
DrDan
"cycle in, run home, run in, cycle home"

This works well for me when I've done it ... it's just a bit harder to be organised.
Jan 2015
6:09pm, 13 Jan 2015
7,879 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I do one run in and back per week, usually 4-6 miles each way. I also do a cycle in, run home then run in cycle home combo. Occasionally I will do the direct 2 miles run in before my run home, just depends on family life. I find this a good way to (a) get the miles in and (b) minimise the impact on family and meal times. Logistically it needs forward thinking but I have a locker and showers at work, so on a Sunday night I need to know what I am doing for the week ahead and transportkit. I am liucky in that I only live 2 miles from the office, and can make up a run distance to suit

About This Thread

Maintained by arbster
Clearly everyone's situation will be slightly different, but I wonder if any of you who regularly o...