Any tips for a commuter wanting to run to work?

20 watchers
Jan 2011
10:59am, 6 Jan 2011
155 posts
  •  
arbster
Clearly everyone's situation will be slightly different, but I wonder if any of you who regularly or occasionally run to work as part of your commute have any "top tips" for making it easier? Any great gear for carrying a clean shirt without screwing it up, lugging laptops safely, etc?

Personally, when working in London I get the train into KX and then Tube to my destination. I'd like to replace some/all of my commute with a run in one/both directions. In a perfect world I'd have a locker at the office large enough for a suit and shirts for the week, but this isn't a perfect world. I'm not expecting to be able to transport laptop/suit/shirts/shoes, but was pondering leaving a suit at the office and just bringing a shirt/etc each day.
Jan 2011
11:01am, 6 Jan 2011
4,331 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
You surely have a desk drawer you can leave a week's worth of clean clothes in. Perhaps you need a suit you can screw up safely.
Jan 2011
11:03am, 6 Jan 2011
11,948 posts
  •  
Stumpy
for the days when I have done this, I have done stuff like leave washbag at work (for us girls it's nice to know you can wash with YOUR stuff and have proper shampoo etc if you are lucky enough to have access to a shower)

leave laptop at work. :-p that's a bonus, I find 'Oh no, I won't be able to do any work at home, I can't really carry that in my backpack'

leave shoes and trousers and suchlike at work. :-) so, yes you might have to carry them in on monday and home on friday, but then you only need underwear and shirts during the week.

get a good, lightweight backpack that is designed for running.
Jan 2011
11:05am, 6 Jan 2011
11,949 posts
  •  
Stumpy
find somewhere to hang your kit up so it can air during the day. horrid to put damp sweaty kit on to go home. hanging it up under the desk works for me. doesn't smell, and at least it dries off (rain in winter sweat in summer)
Jan 2011
11:11am, 6 Jan 2011
157 posts
  •  
arbster
Thanks for the replies.

Sadly we hot-desk, so no drawers, but will explore the possibility of getting a locker. Even if I do it'll be small. My situation is further complicated by the fact that I often work clients' offices so will have to review arrangements periodically.

Hadn't thought of airing kit during the day - will look at options for that too.

Any recommendations for backpacks? Anyone found anything that reduces creasing of shirts in backpacks?
Jan 2011
11:14am, 6 Jan 2011
4,332 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
They surely can't make you hotdesk without providing a locker - that's inhumane.
Jan 2011
11:14am, 6 Jan 2011
13,562 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Shirt in back pack - if can get a box file in use that to carry shirt - fold it around a card like they do with new shirts
Jan 2011
11:21am, 6 Jan 2011
5,791 posts
  •  
Kif-Kif
I get the train and then run from Ealing to Hammermsith. I have an OMM 15 litre pack, which is just too small really (should have got the 20). I used to do the thing of bringing in a change of clothes but it was more of a pain logistically than the bag (having right things clean days in advance, in summer I Brompton the tube journey and in summer would need to bring clothes to change into after cycling too, and also found myself not wanting to work from home some days because I would miss a chance to bring in yet more clothes!). What I wear at work is v scruffy though and can be slung in a rucksack with no worries the other end. I keep a pair of trainers, towel, toiletries, coat for lunchtimejaunts, and all that in a drawer at work.

I would be lying if I said it isn't a logistical nightmare sometimes. The feeling of run done by 9am is worth it though. The worst bit for me is in winter getting from home to the train in running kit at 6 am in zero or minus temperatures and then sitting on the train for an hour in kit before the runs starts!
Jan 2011
11:23am, 6 Jan 2011
5,792 posts
  •  
Kif-Kif
Other ood thing is getting there and realising you're third in the queue for the shower LOL
Jan 2011
11:23am, 6 Jan 2011
5,793 posts
  •  
Kif-Kif
ood = good

About This Thread

Maintained by arbster
Clearly everyone's situation will be slightly different, but I wonder if any of you who regularly o...