Any thoughts/experiences on the following autumn halfs?

3 watchers
Apr 2013
3:53pm, 4 Apr 2013
2,947 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I have the New Forest 10 (if it survives the weather this year) on 14th July, and the Great South on the 27th October. In between that I'd like to do a Half, as my first one didn't end so well and it would be good to be doing those miles prior to London 2014 training.

For once, I am a bit spoilt for choice in my area. So I'm looking for any advice on any of the following. I'm not looking for some mental hills on this, covering the distance will be enough of a challenge :-)

Down Tow, Up Flow Thames Half - 28th July

Maidenhead Half - 8th Sept
Bacchus Half - 8th Sept
Run to the Beat - 8th Sept

Ealing Half - 29th Sept
Windsor Half - 29th Sept

Basingstoke Half - 6th Oct
Royal Parks Half - 6th Oct

Oxford Half - 13th Oct

Heard/read some bad things about Oxford in terms of organisation and route/marshalling. Other than that I have little to go on. Help please :-)
Apr 2013
3:58pm, 4 Apr 2013
4,235 posts
  •  
SarahWoo
I really enjoyed the DTUP Half when I did it a couple of years ago - very flat and picture-skew, well organised, nice medal, lovely marshalls.
The Royal Parks was my first Half back in 2009 and I loved that too - very well organised, pretty flat, great atmosphere, great scenery, of course, plenty of crowd support in Hyde Park. I hear it's become very expensive though.
I gather the Windsor Half's quite hilly.
Apr 2013
4:01pm, 4 Apr 2013
2,948 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Thanks Sarah. Seems Royal Parks ballot is closed, so I will strike them off the list. One down, with Windsor on the bubble for it's hills :-)
Apr 2013
4:06pm, 4 Apr 2013
394 posts
  •  
Fitz
Royal parks is sold out, so only an option if you want to sp£££nd on a charity place. Well worth doing though, if you ever get the opportunity through the normal entry ballot. Good fast course, not too crowded, well organised, good support. A bit pricy though, even for "normal" entries.

I did Run to the Beat last year (although it was later, end of Oct). Again, well organised (except for the baggage scrum at the end), fair sized crowd (c. 12k). Not exactly scenic though, except for one or two nice spots. Don't go expecting headline-act musical turns (more like some unheard-of local DJs and a steel band) and you'll be fine.
Apr 2013
4:10pm, 4 Apr 2013
2,306 posts
  •  
emdee
Of these, DTUP is the onle one I've done.. but it's so good that I've done it 3 of 4 times now. Superb race and a lovely bit of river to run along.
Apr 2013
4:31pm, 4 Apr 2013
2,949 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Thanks guys. Very tempted by either Down Tow or Beat now. Bacchus way too pricey (I assume due to the wine tasting!) and apparently Basingstoke is a bit hilly. Yes I am a chicken.
Apr 2013
4:34pm, 4 Apr 2013
3,821 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
sorry never done those, but see you at the great south run :-)
Apr 2013
4:35pm, 4 Apr 2013
2,950 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Looking forwars to it :-)

Ealing can sod off as well. £34. Pah.
Apr 2013
4:41pm, 4 Apr 2013
2,951 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Haha, and Beat is basically £50. Great South is my one pricey run this year, so budget has helped the cull. Think I'll sign up to Down Tow. Then if that doesn't kill me I could always think about Maidenhead or Basingstoke later in the year.
Apr 2013
4:47pm, 4 Apr 2013
12,207 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
I've done Windsor a few times. It's an afternoon race and getting out of the car park afterwards can be a bit of a nightmare, but I enjoyed it.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
I have the New Forest 10 (if it survives the weather this year) on 14th July, and the Great South on...