Any running apps that will auto-stop at a set distance?

2 watchers
Jun 2020
9:25pm, 22 Jun 2020
3,963 posts
  •  
Kieren
Thing is I don't think such an app exists.

This is mainly for people who don't have a sports watch, so cant easily hit the stop button. The problem may go away over time as I assume most will run the same course, so know where the finish is & get better at stopping consistently. Since the handicap measures a change is performance, being slightly over or under 5K doesn't matter as much as doing the same distance consistently.

I just thought between the big name apps, auto-stop would be on one of them - perhaps harder to implement that I assume
SPR
Jun 2020
9:36pm, 22 Jun 2020
30,309 posts
  •  
SPR
Get them all to upload their runs to Fetch and use the 5k benchmark time.
Jun 2020
9:44pm, 22 Jun 2020
10,405 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
My question would be if it matters of it takes a second or two for them to stop an app?

Given you'll be measuring 5k using GPS and therefore likely a 100m or so out in distance measurement.
Jun 2020
11:50pm, 22 Jun 2020
3,964 posts
  •  
Kieren
It doesn't really matter that much. The runners that have started (in week 3) will probably continue with their app. I've let others know they can run-walk the 5K and tried to explain the system favours the new person and the competition is really against yourself. Those new people have not used apps before, so path of least resistance might be useful to get them to the line - like autostop.

Had a few errors so far getting the phone out of pocket or belt, unlocking screen, getting app, using touch screen with sweaty hand.

So long as they are consistent, which will come from course familiarity that works. Results range from 5.02 to 5.13km.

One runner PB'd as part of a longer run and submitted the 5K PB strava gives you - that works so long as you PB, but then I had to spend time explaining that wont work if you are the same speed or slower - you need to remember to stop the app / watch etc.
Jun 2020
12:05am, 23 Jun 2020
21,101 posts
  •  
Meglet
Set an auto lap for 5k? So even if they go over the 5k will be recorded.
Jun 2020
9:50am, 23 Jun 2020
3,965 posts
  •  
Kieren
In what phone app Megelt? The main ask is something simple for the non-runners.

Looks like I am not the first to ask this - this 5 year old reddit thread has some helpful suggestions but when checked, the OP found none of them did it.

I might try to download a few and check for myself.
Jun 2020
9:51am, 23 Jun 2020
3,966 posts
  •  
Kieren
Forgot to paste the (unresolved, 5 year old) reddit thread
reddit.com
Jun 2020
1:28pm, 23 Jun 2020
21,102 posts
  •  
Meglet
Will strava do it? It does record your best 5k time, amongst others. If you’re running the same route each week then it will give you comparisons.
Jun 2020
9:05am, 25 Jun 2020
3,967 posts
  •  
Kieren
Good suggestion but the strava feature was one of the problems with the submission. Comparing run to run is only a premium feature now. I guess the cohorts will just have to work around it. :)

Maybe if the new runners enjoy running as much as we do, they can treat themselves to a garmin / polar / suntu etc.

My handicap is now in week 4 and I only have about 10 people, so manual work is not such a terrible chore after all. Actually quite enjoying putting the results together (for now). There is quite a gap in ability so I might have to penalise newer runners or winners as some other handicaps do with a weighting to have some roation on the virtual podium

I use the orange site and one thing that annoys me about that is every 5K effort I have logged is faster on strava than watch time. Every other site I log to (Garmin, Fetch, Final Surge, VDOT Calendar) logs correctly per watch time.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
I expect most of us have dedicated watches but was wondering if any any phone based running apps hav...