Any Fetchie (rock) climbers out there?

33 watchers
Jan 2018
9:37pm, 20 Jan 2018
24,978 posts
  •  
halfpint
Our local wall is tiny and we can only do evenings or weekends so it is often chocka.

There is a new climbing centre planned for Inverness but they've only just got planning permission. Not sure when it will be complete. I believe there is a new wall in Fort William which we have not visited ;)
Jan 2018
10:15am, 21 Jan 2018
13,057 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
3 Wise Monkeys is the 'new' climbing wall in Fort William. Purpose built in the old Mackintosh Kirk. I’ve not been but my kids have and they say it’s really good (much better than the leisure centre was). If you’re over that way there’s also a climbing wall In addition to the ice walls at the Ice Factor at Kinlochleven. I've climbed there and it’s pretty good.
Jan 2018
10:31am, 21 Jan 2018
24,983 posts
  •  
halfpint
We've done KLL wall before. The next time we plan to be in FW will be at the end of the WHW. I don't think we'll be doing any climbing. We must get down to check out the wall.
Jan 2018
6:44pm, 22 Jan 2018
20,339 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
V'rap and I headed down to Kendal again and it was lovely and quiet.

We both climbed reasonably well - V'rap knocking out multiple 6a (some of which were quite awkward), and I was pleased to lead an 18m 6b which was super 'crimpy' for the last 3 or 4 moved and had my arms screaming

(This is a good thing - a bit like sprint intervals making you heave, good ;) )

It's been a while since I was conditioned enough to be able to hold on for long enough for that degree of pump

AND I was able to finish off with an overhanging 6b+ on the auto belay.

Just need to work a bit on improving and increasing my grip strength/endurance, and I can do that on the fingerboard we have ober the door in the kitchen!

:)
Jan 2018
4:24pm, 27 Jan 2018
20,340 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
A truly mank day outside, so we headed down for a long session at Kendal.
Pleased with he fact that I'm climbing to arm pump and recovering to do it again.
It's definitely coming back 😀
Leads at 6b, 6b+ and 6c (needed 2 short rests) and a decent attempt at the wood holds 7a+ (almost flashed it, failed at the last move) and a 7a on the 18m wall
Great session

V'rap pinged out some leads after coffee too 😀
Jan 2018
9:55pm, 27 Jan 2018
14,287 posts
  •  
northernslowcoach
Good stuff el Bee :)

Currently watching BIFF live on YouTube 💪
Jan 2018
10:54pm, 27 Jan 2018
37,641 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
eL Bee! and I are planning to cross the country and take a look at Newcastle tomorrow. Anyone been there? It's our next nearest decent-sized wall after Kendal.

That's assuming we can move tomorrow after three hours of wall time at Kendal today.
Apr 2018
9:10am, 5 Apr 2018
20,361 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Well, we've well and truly tasted the delights of Harrogate Climbing Centre.
We were physically in the building for 6.5 hours yesterday! Like the way some of the setters set their routes!
Unusually for me, I ran out of upper arm strength before I ran out of grip strength!
Sep 2023
3:50pm, 6 Sep 2023
14,255 posts
  •  
Homer
5 years late.... anyone still climbing?
Sep 2023
4:33pm, 6 Sep 2023
23,933 posts
  •  
Dave A
I have good intentions but a dislocated shoulder then a dodgy knee have put a stop to it, for now.

About This Thread

Maintained by DuncanG
I have always wanted to give this a try, at least the indoor climbing wall variety, and I have just ...