Any Fetchie (rock) climbers out there?

33 watchers
Feb 2017
8:47am, 20 Feb 2017
35,524 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
My arms are fine. I've tweaked something on the left side of my back, and know exactly how I tweaked it - multiple attempts at a dynamic move towards the end of the session on Saturday.

The weather looks set to be rotten on my days off later this week. I foresee more climbing.
Feb 2017
9:42pm, 20 Feb 2017
22,513 posts
  •  
halfpint
I hope the tweaked back untweaks with some rest. It must be good to have days of during the week to climb. QP hates our wall in the evenings/weekends at the moment as it is hoachin' in the winter.

It was totally dreich in KLL today so we had another 2.5 hours at the Ice Factor. Climbing and bouldering today. I am utterly crap at both but kept at it until I felt a bit less crap. It is all completely psychological with me. I finally let QP belay for me after a slightly hairy attempt a while back.

We are discussing plans for summer holidays. We have a 'highly unlikely' plan of St Ives for sunshine and beaches. I also suggested Lake District - QP asked what the chances were of sun/warmth. I said I wasn't sure but I was pretty certain there would be good walking/biking/climbing to be had.
Feb 2017
10:00pm, 20 Feb 2017
35,534 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Wherever you go in the summer, you take your chance with the weather. It can be lovely hereabouts. There are loads of great outdoor activities in the Lake District, including via ferrata, and two very good indoor climbing walls.
Feb 2017
10:02pm, 20 Feb 2017
20,240 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
.....and the folk hereabouts are very friendly and accommodating :)
Feb 2017
9:20am, 21 Feb 2017
11,990 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I worked in Cornwall for a couple of years. The weather there can be pretty miserable and wet (warm, but wet). It's a VERY long way to travel from Inverness only to get rained on.

Lake District is very lovely (and wet).

Fort William is very lovely (and wet) (and close by)! ;-)
Feb 2017
9:31am, 21 Feb 2017
22,515 posts
  •  
halfpint
It's that bloody Aspects webcam. I also have a friend who goes to Cornwall every year. We were going to do NC500 but might avoid summer because it will be really busy and over run with midges.
Feb 2017
10:02am, 21 Feb 2017
11,992 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I have to admit that the Aspects webcam prompted me to look into a nostalgic trip to the West Country. There's some good stuff down there (after Easter and before October).

If you're going I would definitely recommend taking advantage of the fact that our holidays are a fortnight earlier than the English because it used to be hoachin' wi "grockles" 25 years ago and I can't believe that's got any better over time.

Goonhilly Downs, Eden Project, Flambards, Fistral Beach (ver average but a must-tick surfer spot), Watergate Bay (much better), loads of lovely beaches actually, Tintagel Castle.

Uh-oh, need to stop now. Must. Stop. Reminiscing. :-)
Feb 2017
10:03am, 21 Feb 2017
11,993 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Oh, and rock climbing too!! :-):-)
Feb 2017
9:36am, 26 Feb 2017
20,241 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Popped to Kendal Wall yesterday as Keswick was closed for a competition.

It is a great facility and I'd forgotten just how long the climbs there are!!
Feb 2017
9:42am, 26 Feb 2017
22,561 posts
  •  
halfpint
At least if the weather is crap in the Lakes we'll have plenty of climbing options.

We're planning to climb today, if I can muster some energy.

About This Thread

Maintained by DuncanG
I have always wanted to give this a try, at least the indoor climbing wall variety, and I have just ...