Any Board Games Fans?

47 watchers
Aug 2021
10:05am, 18 Aug 2021
5,972 posts
  •  
MisterTea
Just watched the videos through. Like the look of this game. It is quick enough that even the MissTeas won't be able to get bored.
Aug 2021
10:17am, 18 Aug 2021
42,104 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
At the other end of the spectrum from quick games ... I am not a wargamer, but I did buy a copy of GMT's A Distant Plain a year or two ago and, with the recent tragic news coming from Afghanistan, I have finally opened the rulebook to start to teach myself the game. It may seem suddenly out of date, but it is based on there being four factions in Afghanistan: Coalition forces, Afghan government, the Taliban and the Warlords (generally engaged in opium production) with each vying for supremacy and with each having different victory conditions. It isn't a wargame in the traditional sense, because victory doesn't come from military victory, but from a combination of factors including popular support, territorial presence and weakening the influence of rivals. It is a game for 1 to 4 players and, if you play with fewer than 4, there are bots/flowcharts to control the other factions. It seems to get really good reviews for the way it creates a sense of the story of Afghanistan between 2000 and this year.
Aug 2021
12:39pm, 18 Aug 2021
23,107 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
I take it that if you play as “coalition forces” you have to pillage the land for as much mineral wealth as your billionaire sponsors can fit into their deep pockets before suddenly resigning and declaring yourself the winner?
Aug 2021
1:21pm, 18 Aug 2021
342 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
And for Flamme Rouge fans

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/323232/flamme-rouge-grand-tour#

No release date still, but will let you guys know as soon as I do.
Aug 2021
1:22pm, 18 Aug 2021
343 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
boardgamegeek.com

perhaps this one
Aug 2021
1:34pm, 18 Aug 2021
23,108 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Cool. We love playing Flamme Rouge. It’s nearly the fist thing that the kids pack when we go on holiday. :)
Aug 2021
8:13pm, 18 Aug 2021
5,973 posts
  •  
MisterTea
Cool. You can find the rules about how multi-stage races work online as well as there being an app that works it all out for you - you gain time for each turn and each space you finish ahead of the next person. We've played several multi-stage races although there was nearly a mini-riot when MrsTea declared that in honour of the TdF we'd play a round a night for the whole time le Tour was on!
Aug 2021
1:03am, 19 Aug 2021
23,111 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
:-O
Aug 2021
1:04am, 19 Aug 2021
23,112 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Does sound good though. I like the idea of an App.
Aug 2021
12:32am, 20 Aug 2021
344 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
MT I'm not sure how much of the GT rules in the forum section of BoardGameGeek are coming across. The designer regularly engages with the BGG forum and was the inspiration for Peloton expansion. It was promised a while ago and I expect that covid has been a rather big inconvenience.

The app is great and I've not been brave enough to get the family to do a 21 stage TfF but the boys have done a 4 Stage tour de Yorkshire which was surprisingly well balanced with 3 of us and 3 AI teams. Carrying fatigue from 1 stage to another and starting each stage in reverse order to the finish order in the previous stage was challenging.

About This Thread

Maintained by MisterTea
Any other board games fans out there on Fetch? Any recommendations for some great games?