Any advice for a new runner please

2 watchers
Feb 2013
4:43pm, 4 Feb 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
SkiPixie
Hello, looks like I'm mixing with the big boys now - well I figured if I want to be a serious runner this is the place to learn stuff. Any advice would be helpful - I am slow. Thats it - just started running and I've run 6.5 miles in the last week, but averaging 15 minute miles. Will speed come with time? Or should I push harder now? Any help, advice tips from anyone who can remember back to when they started running would be appreciated!
Feb 2013
4:49pm, 4 Feb 2013
7,361 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Welcome!
R4R
Feb 2013
4:50pm, 4 Feb 2013
1,754 posts
  •  
R4R
SkiPixie - welcome to Fetch
Just do running for the moment - speed will come with time. Build yourself a steady base before you try to push harder.
If you push too hard too soon, then you're likely to get injured
Good luck
Feb 2013
4:51pm, 4 Feb 2013
1,620 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Welcome!! You have come to the right place - there is lots of advice - dip and out of the various threads - the 500 miles one is very friendly and supportive (and we don't mind if you don't run that far!!). You will get faster, definitely - I'd just enjoy things as much as you can and do what feels comfortable - lots of new runners (myself included back in the day) do too much too soon and get put off. Logging your runs on here will help you see your progress and is very motivating. Good luck :)
Feb 2013
4:53pm, 4 Feb 2013
6,870 posts
  •  
Maz Heeps
welcome huni.....

It really depends what you are aiming to achieve from this here running malarky....

some people won't get out of bed for anything under 10 miles, and run every day without fail...

Others, like me, do what we can when we can and try to commit to maybe 3 times a week without it taking over our lives totally... the thing is, it does take over a wee bit at times.

You'll find yourself getting faster in time, probably fairly rapid progression, but if you arent aiming for any marathons or fancy races anytime soon, my advise is to find a local parkrun and make a habit of that plus 1-2 other runs a week....

In time you'll be lured into races n some such, but thats a decent base to start.... IMHO! and many more will come along and say different! it's all very personal
Feb 2013
4:54pm, 4 Feb 2013
7,362 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
If you want to discuss running you are definitely on the wrong website. :-) :-) :-)

There are no runners in here.
Feb 2013
4:56pm, 4 Feb 2013
621 posts
  •  
Pedro_Perez
Welcome to Fetch!

I am sure other people will back me up when I say this, its time on your feet to start with that really counts and not the time per mile. You will have plenty of time to worry about speed later, for now its time on your feet that builds up stamina.

Speed will come with time and you can work on it with various types of training but for now I would work on your miles first.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Feb 2013
4:56pm, 4 Feb 2013
66 posts
  •  
krautchen
Hi SkiPixie and welcome to Fetch!

Speed will definitely come - don't worry! Are you jogging the whole way or are you running with walking breaks?

In terms of pushing it or not, I would try to play it a little by ear for now. If you desperately want to do the best you can right now, you could try to do one run a week where your pace is easy but you run for quite a while continously and one run a week where you do 5 mins say at a little more effort with walking breaks. Maybe in a few weeks you can add a run where you just run easy for a short time. But please don't do too much too soon! If you have only just started the most important thing is just to stick with it for a while and to increase the length of your runs slowly. Make sure you have a decent pair of trainers, a decent sports bra and comfortable clothes.

When I started I couldn't run for 15 minutes, so don't worry at all, you'll get there quicker than you think. :-)
Feb 2013
4:59pm, 4 Feb 2013
1,510 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Welcome to Fetch and well done on getting out there and running.

I'd suggest building distance and leaving any speed work for the time being. Speed work can be quite tough so it's not recommended until you've been running for a year or banked 300 miles.

Increase your distance by around 10% per week for three weeks, then have a 'cut back' week, of around 75% of the previous week, then go back to increasing distance by 10% again. Also, don't try and cram all your miles into 1 or 2 sessions, spread them out to 3 or even 4.

I'd also suggest booking a race for late Spring, perhaps a 10K? That will give you something to work towards. You might find your local parkrun good too - these are free time-trials held across the country on Saturday mornings at 9am. They're very popular, with runners of all abilities, from the racing snakes to the plodders.

Finally, never worry that you're slow or you'll be last in a race. Just get out there and run. The more miles you bank, the faster you become. Once you get along to a few races / parkruns, you'll see runners come in all shapes and sizes and at all kinds of speed too.
Feb 2013
5:03pm, 4 Feb 2013
7,363 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Oh and do parkrun!!!!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hello, looks like I'm mixing with the big boys now - well I figured if I want to be a serious runne...