Antibiotics and running

1 watcher
Aug 2018
7:20pm, 3 Aug 2018
1,508 posts
  •  
Lesley C
I have been given a course of flucloxacillin for a skin infection. I was wondering, after hearing that you shouldn’t do intense excercise while on antibiotics, whether or not it will be ok to train normally? It’s a 7 day course, 500mg, 4x a day. I only heard about this after going to the docs so didn’t ask.
Aug 2018
8:03pm, 3 Aug 2018
38,790 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Depends how bad the skin infection is. The antibiotics themselves shouldn't cause a problem with running unless they make you sick/squitty.
Aug 2018
8:49pm, 3 Aug 2018
1,509 posts
  •  
Lesley C
Thanks V’rap, it’s not too bad, just wasn’t sure about the tablets. Hoping I don’t have any of the unwanted side effects.
Nov 2023
8:31am, 26 Nov 2023
9,989 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Thought I'd resurrect this one.

Got prescribed a week of Ciprofloxacin and thought nothing of it as only the usual warnings in the literature. Just before going for a long run, I did an internet search and discovered that it contained Fluoroquinolone. This has been known to weaken the tendons and runners have been known to suffer ruptures as a result.

As I'm training for Brighton, I e-mailed the Medical Director on the subject as he has previously given warnings on medication and ibuprofen. He said that injuries after taking it are mainly in the over 60's and that there is a greater risk if it is taken for some time. Although your own GP needs to make the decision, there is no straightforward answer.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lesley C
I have been given a course of flucloxacillin for a skin infection. I was wondering, after hearing t...