Anti hunting and animal cruelty

12 watchers
Oct 2018
11:00am, 29 Oct 2018
29,461 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry 10K and 100K are UK parliament. And Gel Wrappers - also Grrr to littering. No argument from me here on that one either. :-) G
Nov 2018
10:54pm, 3 Nov 2018
1,992 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Probably need to gently correct you on a couple of things Happy.

I don't get paid to kill the deer. I get paid to manage them in a way that's beneficial to the needs of the valley in its current state. Much of that is around maintaining a healthy herd, and yes - in the absence of a resident wolf pack - that does include some culling.

I also don't get paid to allow a rich person to kill any of the deer for a thrill. The estate trustees allow me to occasionally sell shots to suitable people. These are people who are known to me, and whilst I wouldn't call them friends I'd be happy to (say) spend a day fishing on the lake in their company.

There's no question of someone with a fat wallet being able to turn up and take potshots. It's part of the control programme and I stress again it's very occasional. These are people I trust, who know what they are doing and understand and respect their quarry.

In the main they also understand that any money I take doesn't go into my pocket but into the projects that we have going on here.

I know it's not the same ethos on every shooting estate. However that's how it is here.
Nov 2018
8:10am, 4 Nov 2018
1,993 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Folks might be interested in this. It sums up my thinking on the deer and how we should manage them.

Obviously without the wolves - at least not yet....

bing.com
Nov 2018
8:12am, 4 Nov 2018
1,994 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q&feature=youtu.be
Nov 2018
12:20pm, 5 Nov 2018
29,506 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Cool, thanks for clarification. I think what you do is the height of respect and professionalism. I still think that someone is prepared to pay (a premium) to do the killing, when it's not their "job" is a problem. No matter how nice they might be. They must get some enjoyment from it, or why are they paying money to do so? What enjoyment is there or should there be. It should be done at best, reluctantly and at worst resignedly, not gleefully.

Anyhoo, I'm probably too far at the "all animals are cuddly and nicer than humans" end of the spectrum to reason with, so I'm probably a lost cause! ;-) Bliddy veggies, eh! :-) G
Jul 2019
3:18pm, 11 Jul 2019
32,044 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Another horrible pic turned up on facebook - the South American dentist guy killing jaguars and other big cats and photographed holding the (sad, beautiful) dead beast up and smiling / laughing. Makes me sick. I was going to post from memory that he is accused of killing over 100 - but the news report says 1000! :-O

Anyway, at least he's been arrested. Bet he doesn't get anything like a stiff enough sentence. Grrr.

news360.co.za
D2
Jul 2019
3:52pm, 11 Jul 2019
11,331 posts
  •  
D2
I'm so very shocked by some of the animal cruelty that gets filmed and shown of fb, I almost preferred it when I was ignorant but actually I realise that's condoning those actions. A lot of human activities are beyond my understanding.
Jul 2019
4:37pm, 11 Jul 2019
32,045 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Absolutely D2. I won't look at the pics or videos. But I can't help seeing the headlines. I agree, just leaves me baffled at how different one human being's ethics can be from another's. :-(

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
I've just joined the League Against Cruel Sports. I've always hated any form of animal cru...