Another family law question

1 watcher
May 2016
8:58pm, 22 May 2016
2,814 posts
  •  
Molesy *pompoms*
My darling wife and I are off to foreign parts for our 25th wedding anniversary at the end of the week and she's having a panic about what happens to our youngest in the event that we're kidnapped by the dread pirate Roberts.

We'd like to appoint my wife's sister as guardian and, in the absence of a will, wondered whether there was a simple template available.
May 2016
9:17pm, 22 May 2016
810 posts
  •  
larkim
I believe a properly written will is the only way to do it. But IANAL!
May 2016
9:27pm, 22 May 2016
14,244 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I think as long as it's in writing, signed and dated by you both, it doesn't have to be in a will. I am also not a lawyer though.

Are you going extreme adventuring Molesy?:-0
May 2016
9:46pm, 22 May 2016
13,177 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
You really should have a will unless you are aware of what the law will do if you don't, and it happens to be exactly what would have been in your will, and any changes that are made to the law since you decided not to make a will reflect changes in your own thinking.
May 2016
9:51pm, 22 May 2016
2,818 posts
  •  
Molesy *pompoms*
You're absolutely right Chris and it's on the plan for when we get back but I believe we can get something in place on the legal guardian front before then.
May 2016
9:54pm, 22 May 2016
10,980 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Make a will. It's really easy and it definitely won't make you die any sooner than has already been decided for you. It will ensure that all your wishes are met and that your relatives have a lot less hassle trying to sort it all out. Dying intestate is a nightmare for everyone (well, except you of course, on account of you being dead ;-)).

Which Dread Pirate Roberts will you be seeing?
May 2016
10:42pm, 22 May 2016
2,819 posts
  •  
Molesy *pompoms*
Extreme laziness only LD :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYfSF0cTIJQ
May 2016
11:10pm, 22 May 2016
13,754 posts
  •  
MissChappo
We spent ages nearly getting a will sorted. Until our kid was about 7 years old. I recommend doing it as it is a weight off your mind.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Molesy
My darling wife and I are off to foreign parts for our 25th wedding anniversary at the end of the we...