Ankle pain when *not* running

2 watchers
Jan 2016
8:45pm, 10 Jan 2016
1,912 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
For the last week I have had intermittent pain in my right ankle. Its on and around the inside knobbly bit. It is brought on by lifting or pointing my foot or twisting it, Its when the muscle are stretched. The weird thing is it goes away when running, or actually after a kilometre or so, Ie when it's 'warmed up'. I'm trying to work out if it's just muscle stiffness and I should just run through it, or if it's something else. Anyone have any ideas?
Jan 2016
8:57pm, 10 Jan 2016
11,179 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I also have that. Is there a swelling? I can feel a swelling with my fingers and also that my shoe is tight there. I reckoned it was Achilles related. I decided it was started due to some slower running in my "fast" shoes (they don't suit it, gait is off) and exacerbated by some faster running, some involving hills.

Standard advice would be ice and rest ... which I am partially following.
Jan 2016
9:06pm, 10 Jan 2016
1,913 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
I have no noticeable swelling but if I poke it a bit I can get what I believe is muscle pain on and behind the knobble. My shoe fit seems fine. When you say you are partially following you mean you are icing but not resting? ;-)
Jan 2016
9:13pm, 10 Jan 2016
11,181 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I got the peas out today and cycled; and only did a parkrun yesterday ;-)

I think we have similar, but different, injuries. I can quite happily poke my swollen bit (oo-er :-o).
Jan 2016
9:26pm, 10 Jan 2016
1,914 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Yep, sounds a bit different, although I did parkrun as well!
Jan 2016
5:52pm, 28 Jan 2016
First-time poster!!
  •  
RedMo
I seem to have this too - it feels like I have a bruise just above the knobbly bit but there is no visible bruise or swelling. I really only really feel it when I flex my ankle, so walking downstairs is the worst, but I have run on it. I am resting for now in the hope it will go away but I really want to run on Sunday.
Jan 2016
6:07pm, 28 Jan 2016
2,109 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
So an update on my ankle. It sort of got better. I still have a ankle support on but it doesn't hurt any more. I didn't change what I did really, but didn't do made and stretched it out a lot. I hope yours clears up as well
Jan 2016
6:07pm, 28 Jan 2016
2,110 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
I didn't do too much that's meant to say.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by chunkywizard
For the last week I have had intermittent pain in my right ankle. Its on and around the inside knobb...