Ankle Pain

2 watchers
Apr 2012
8:51pm, 10 Apr 2012
69 posts
  •  
Claireruns
I have just taken up running again and started with a run/walk programme. On my 5th repeat however I could feel an ache in my ankle, this disappeared when I walked. It was just below my inner right ankle.

Any ideas?
Apr 2012
9:05pm, 10 Apr 2012
12,402 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
These things take time.
Take it easy.

How far are you running?
Apr 2012
9:10pm, 10 Apr 2012
71 posts
  •  
Claireruns
At the minute i've covered 1.8miles today including a warm up and cool down plus 1.5 min run/2 min walk interval.
Apr 2012
9:13pm, 10 Apr 2012
1,596 posts
  •  
Garfield
Does it happen earlier on or later into the run? It may be that you need to allow it and the surrounding muscles to warm up first.
Apr 2012
9:23pm, 10 Apr 2012
72 posts
  •  
Claireruns
Today it was towards the end of the run :(
Apr 2012
9:33pm, 10 Apr 2012
1,598 posts
  •  
Garfield
I'm not sure what it is but I've had something similar with my left ankle recently, after a 20 mile run. I suspect mine was partial overcompensation from a slightly sprained ankle I hads earlier this year before I hit the longer runs. Rest it a bit for a couple of days or so if it continues to hurt or twinge when you're not running. Hopefully some of the other more knowledgeable folk will be able to offer suggestions. If it does persist though, you might want to visit your local running shop for a gait analysis to make sure you're running in appropriate shoes for your feet and running style.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Claireruns
I have just taken up running again and started with a run/walk programme. On my 5th repeat however I...