Ankle Pain - Caused by ankling while cycling?

1 watcher
Jun 2012
3:07pm, 6 Jun 2012
2,910 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
Hello,

I've been having a niggly pain in my right ankle for ages. It wasn't so bad as to make me do anything about it. Just lately I've been cycling much longer distances and I don't notice any pain at the time but the next day my ankle is very painful. It'll cause me to limp for a day then the pain all but resolves ready to flare up again after the next long ride.

The pain is towards the back of the ankle and on the sides. Sort of inside the joint.

I've just been reading about an old technique called ankling and realised that I do it when cycling up hill. Sort of tilt my foot forward towards the floor when I push down. I started doing it as it just felt easier. Could this be causing my ankle pain?

Any thoughts gratefully received :)
Jun 2012
7:28pm, 6 Jun 2012
13,138 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
What kind of cycling shoe/cleat arrangement do you have?
Sometimes can cause pain if not set up properly or you dont have enough (or too much) movement.
Jun 2012
8:17pm, 6 Jun 2012
2,912 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
I don't have cleats. I have sort of toe cages that I slide my feet into. So obviously quite a lot of movement.
Jun 2012
9:17pm, 6 Jun 2012
13,139 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Not that then:)
Might be a lot of bend in your foot. Cycling shoes are really rigid so when you stand on them all the effort goes into movement. If you have soft shoes they will bend more and this might put some strain on your ankle??

Just a thought, otherwise I am not sure, sorry.
Jun 2012
9:39pm, 6 Jun 2012
2,913 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
Thanks for your thoughts :)
I just wear my skanky old trainers. They probably aren't very suitable so that's a good call. I hadn't really thought about that.
Jun 2012
9:59pm, 7 Jun 2012
539 posts
  •  
golfpag
is your seat to high forcing you to toe down to reach bottom of pedal stroke when you pedal can you drop your heal slightly
Jun 2012
10:02pm, 7 Jun 2012
540 posts
  •  
golfpag
menshealth.co.uk
Jun 2012
10:08pm, 7 Jun 2012
2,948 posts
  •  
Oysterboy
I don't think my saddle is too high but I do point my toes down when pushing down. It just feels comfortable. But I think now this is what's hurting my ankle.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Oysterboy
Hello,

I've been having a niggly pain in my right ankle for ages. It wasn't so bad as to make m...