Anglesey Running

1 watcher
Jun 2019
6:49pm, 29 Jun 2019
1,477 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Hello.

i'm off to Anglesey for a holiday in a couple of weeks - does anyone have any good running routes they could recommend? We are staying in Benllech but will have a car.

Thanks.
Jun 2019
7:03pm, 29 Jun 2019
1,141 posts
  •  
oumaumau
The whole coastal path maybe... :)

There's plenty to be had at on the East coast, you could run round to Penmon from Benllech. Head West and enjoy the beach at Newborough, and the forest there too. Head north and over Holyhead Mountain... It's all lovely
Jun 2019
7:13pm, 29 Jun 2019
1,478 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I was thinking that all the way round the island every day might be a bit much and hoping for some ideas for circular routes :-)
Jun 2019
7:15pm, 29 Jun 2019
1,479 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Do you know how runnable the coastal path is there and how hilly?
Jun 2019
7:20pm, 29 Jun 2019
1,143 posts
  •  
oumaumau
It's a single up and over to Penmon from Benllech, if memory serves. Flatter heading north up the east coast to Red Wharf bay.

Very flat over at Newborough (south west corner) 5 miles of beach to run on if you want it.

North coast Amlwch to Camaes is much more SWCP type undulating territory.

HTH
Jun 2019
9:03pm, 29 Jun 2019
29 posts
  •  
kev-eats-owt
Yes the Amlwch to Camaes section is undulating and the views are spectacular. From Camaes to the former nuclear power station at Wlfya is less undulating, the path is more rolling, and very runnable. The added bonus is that you won't need a bedside lamp for a few weeks after as you will glow in the dark!
Jun 2019
6:43am, 30 Jun 2019
1,480 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Thanks guys. I have a degenerative knee condition hence the need to avoid hills. I'll be marathon training but have MiL and husband to consider so potential places to drive where they can have a walk whilst I run then we can all have coffee or whatever will make it easier for me to fit some miles in.
Jun 2019
11:43am, 30 Jun 2019
1,144 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Just checked the map, and Red Wharf bay is actually south of Benllech... Very flat round the bay, probably a good 5 miles round with the last 2 on a raised walkway. Lovely pub and ice cream shop at the north end of the bay.
Sand at Newborough is nice and firm - it's a fairly flat beach - and backs onto a forest. Or you could try the south coast road near the Sea Zoo (west wards).
Jun 2019
12:25pm, 30 Jun 2019
1,482 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
That's really helpful - thank you. I shall get my OS map out now that I know where to look.
Jul 2019
4:22pm, 6 Jul 2019
29,031 posts
  •  
DocMoye
LMH do let us know how it goes.... I be running on Anglesey end of August ....all tips appreciated

About This Thread

Maintained by Little Miss Happy
Hello.

i'm off to Anglesey for a holiday in a couple of weeks - does anyone have any good r...