Android App

52 watchers
Nov 2020
3:38pm, 24 Nov 2020
36,577 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I can do the transfer FF, just too lazy though! (Usually just Save As or Export As the type would be a FIT file or GPX file. Then email that to yourself and then in Fetch choose "Import from" FIT or GPX.

I don't have any tracking apps on my phone. Don't need to, cos I've got my watch. But if there was a Fetch app, I'd have that! :-) G
Nov 2020
4:22pm, 24 Nov 2020
15,649 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I think I have said before, I would use it for walks, or runs where I wasn't bothered about my pace etc.
Nov 2020
4:28pm, 24 Nov 2020
12,764 posts
  •  
larkim
I always wonder whether Garmin would add a basic tracking function to "connect". I know it sort of contradicts their approach to selling their own branded GPS hardware, but if they specced it with a really simple interface and nothing fancy, just for those days when you've forgotten your watch, I could see myself occasionally using that. With the added bonus that it would sync magically across all the same services that your watch would do.

Do other watch makers have GPS logging built into their iOS or Android apps?
Nov 2020
4:34pm, 24 Nov 2020
12,765 posts
  •  
larkim
If anything, if Lord Fetch made an app the last thing I would want to do with it would actually be GPS track.

I'd want it to access my training log, maybe read forum posts or blogs, maybe find races etc, and perhaps manually log a run if I'd not had a watch available.

A bit like the way that the BBC News app is a duplicate of what we can see in a browser, even quite nicely formatted on a mobile browser, but the app nature of it just makes it snappier, can download data in the background, send alerts etc so that it works "just a bit nicer" than it does via a mobile browser on a slow connection outdoors.
Nov 2020
4:51pm, 24 Nov 2020
4,037 posts
  •  
StuH
Garmin used to have a tracking app "Garmin Fit" but it was discontinued.

I might consider using a Fetch App it I wanted to record an activity for a GPS game that I didn't want propagated to other platforms. As for other functions, I think all the work Fetch has put in to making the site mobile-friendly has made that unnecessary.
Nov 2020
4:54pm, 24 Nov 2020
13,054 posts
  •  
Badger
Stu has a point. I end up with records of bikes and walks that are meaningless for training, they're just for fetchpoint, and I'd be quite happy to have a way to record them only to FE.
Nov 2020
7:03am, 25 Nov 2020
6,992 posts
  •  
TeeBee
^^^ me too. My coach didn't need to see all my WSW exercusions on foot or on bike.
Nov 2020
7:09am, 25 Nov 2020
6,993 posts
  •  
TeeBee
Sorry to be a dufus ,- can you post a link to the poll please.
Nov 2020
7:28am, 25 Nov 2020
36,585 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The one thing Fetch said he would NOT do in an app is replicate things the website already does. He has made the website pretty mobile friendly after all.

So the app is for things that the web can't do, I think. In case that helps with your voting Larks! :-) G
Nov 2020
8:00am, 25 Nov 2020
42,808 posts
  •  
LindsD

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
A thread for updates on the forthcoming Android App.

The initial offering will be even more basic...