Android App

52 watchers
Mar 2020
3:46pm, 17 Mar 2020
23,508 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
A thread for updates on the forthcoming Android App.

The initial offering will be even more basic than the iPhone version, in an attempt to make sure I get the basics absolutely right. It'll just be a GPS tracker, with a start button, a stop button, and a save button. The save button will upload your activity to Fetch, at which point you can view your activity on the site.

I don't intend to replicate any of the features of the site within the app - so it won't have any analysis of your training, or owt like that. The site works pretty well on mobile, so I don't see any merit in duplicating features within the app. Instead, my goal for the app (and the iPhone one, when I get back to that) is to make it do the things that the site *can't* do. For example:

1) allow you to pre-select a route, and alert you if you deviate.
2) offer a behind/infront comparison for your pre-chosen route
3) broadcast your location to your approved follower list (for tracking progress in events, and for safety etc)
4) see which Conquercise zone you're in
5) see which WSW zones you've hit
6) live collection of Fetchpoint markers
7) pace alerts
8) maybe track cadence, if I can interpret the accelerometer data.
9) let you know if you've completed a Fetch mile.

I can't promise all or any of those will come to pass - but that's the sort of thing I'm aiming at. And if anyone has any other suggestions that a phone app can do that the site cannot, then please shout out on this thread.

I hope to get the basic app uploaded at some point within the next fortnight*, so I'll be keen to get feedback from anyone willing to test it out. Follow this thread for updates.

*assuming I don't got the cooties :-)
Mar 2020
3:54pm, 17 Mar 2020
14,694 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
*watches*
Sounds good.
Mar 2020
3:57pm, 17 Mar 2020
5,248 posts
  •  
minardi
*also watches*
um
Mar 2020
4:00pm, 17 Mar 2020
1,874 posts
  •  
um
I sense that feedback stung a bit. But a good idea to focus on what the app can do beyond or different to the web site.

As for 9) - may that can also let you know when you start a Fetch Mile? Because it's probably not 'by chance' and it's a trigger of when to put the pedal down (figuratively speaking, I'm not meaning cycling or driving)
Mar 2020
4:29pm, 17 Mar 2020
23,511 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
That's a good shout um. And I made reference to the review in this week's podcast. It stung initially, but made me more determined on the whole :-)
Mar 2020
4:33pm, 17 Mar 2020
31,384 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
More power to your elbow, Fetch! :)
Mar 2020
4:39pm, 17 Mar 2020
23,512 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
*elbow bump*
Mar 2020
5:24pm, 17 Mar 2020
6,497 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I am late to this and apologize in advance for my naive question but would a Garmin IQ app be a worthwhile idea? Again sorry if I am the 99th person to say this.
Mar 2020
5:28pm, 17 Mar 2020
13,571 posts
  •  
RichHL
Head, toe, head, toe, cootie free for all of my life.

Just repeat that, you'll be fine...
Mar 2020
6:09pm, 17 Mar 2020
34,478 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Watching... :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
A thread for updates on the forthcoming Android App.

The initial offering will be even more basic...