And they can sling their hook out of here right now, thank you very much

11 watchers
Sep 2022
12:16pm, 24 Sep 2022
139,407 posts
  •  
GregP
The book I’m reading
I could very easily have chosen Kate Atkinson as my favourite author, and I’m racing through her brilliant new book, Shrines of Gaiety, set in the Soho underworld of the 1920s. My partner has just finished, and loved, Jonathan Coe’s Bournville, so that’s next for me.
Sep 2022
139,408 posts
  •  
GregP
The book I wish I had written
Whenever I read JL Carr’s A Month in the Country I try to work out how he pulls off such nostalgic sadness, beauty and quiet humour in so few words. If you’ve never read it, I’d really recommend it. More than anything, it’s very short, and who doesn’t love a short book?
Sep 2022
139,409 posts
  •  
GregP
The book I couldn’t finish
For O-level English we were supposed to read Fair Stood the Wind for France by HE Bates, and I’m afraid I never got past the first chapter. You could bluff your way to O-levels in those days. I don’t think GCSEs are quite so easy to bluff.
Sep 2022
139,410 posts
  •  
GregP
The book I’m ashamed I haven’t read
People I believe and trust tell me Middlemarch is the greatest novel ever written, and I know that I should read it, but it’s very long, and the typeface is so tiny. I haven’t read Pride and Prejudice either, but I have read Andre Agassi’s autobiography, so these things all balance out in the end.
Sep 2022
12:17pm, 24 Sep 2022
139,411 posts
  •  
GregP
My favourite film
You never see comedy films on the list of the greatest movies of all time, or, if you do, they are thoughtful New York comedies of manners. So I’m going to plump for This Is Spinal Tap or Team America: World Police. Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa is right up there too, though no one will ever tell you that.
Sep 2022
12:20pm, 24 Sep 2022
139,412 posts
  •  
GregP
My favourite play
My favourite plays are usually ones where there is enough leg room. It is a very rare treat in the theatre. But I adore Ira Levin’s glorious Deathtrap, a murder mystery that unravels its plot layer by layer, each more satisfying than the last. Christopher Reeve is in the film, if you want to watch it without spending £4 on a bag of Maltesers while your knees are being crushed.
Sep 2022
12:20pm, 24 Sep 2022
139,413 posts
  •  
GregP
The box set that I’m hooked on
I’m visiting the Shetland Noir book festival next summer, and in preparation we’re watching Shetland from the very beginning on BritBox. Douglas Henshall is brilliant as Ann Cleeves’s detective Jimmy Perez. Brian Cox was in one the other day, and he didn’t swear once. Also The Newsreader, a drama set in a 1980s Australian TV newsroom has really flown under the radar. It’s terrific, and the whole thing is on iPlayer.
Sep 2022
12:21pm, 24 Sep 2022
139,414 posts
  •  
GregP
My favourite TV series
We’re just heading into the wonderland that is Strictly and Bake Off beginning their autumn runs. Such beautifully and joyfully made television. It takes an awful lot to beat The Repair Shop, though. I’m halfway through Brooklyn Nine-Nine as well, and it’s just such a joy, one of the greatest sitcoms of all time.
Sep 2022
139,415 posts
  •  
GregP
My favourite piece of music
I can’t stop listening to Gavin Bryars’s hypnotic and beautiful Jesus’ Blood Never Failed Me Yet.
Sep 2022
139,416 posts
  •  
GregP
The last TV programme (and book) that made me cry
I cry all the time, at everything. We were literally crying last night because Janusz [in Great British Bake Off] looked so happy at being named star baker. Anything will set me off. I recently cried most at the wonderful novel A Station on the Path to Somewhere Better by Benjamin Wood.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Glee. Nasty business.