Anciens coureurs réticents à vélo

21 watchers
Sep 2014
6:19pm, 16 Sep 2014
75,130 posts
  •  
GregP
I base it largely on Boudicca (a small independent) claiming it was one of the best regarded sportives in Britain. And it was poo.
Sep 2014
6:26pm, 16 Sep 2014
30,895 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've also done a couple of disappointing events that have puffed themselves up big on their websites. The Etape Eryri was at least redeemed by the scenery, but Zappi's Gran Fondo was ... well, if anyone knows a drearier and more inhospitable sportive, please warn me.
Jun 2015
1:54pm, 24 Jun 2015
76,636 posts
  •  
GregP
Boing, since Glenners appears to be a cyclist, after a fasion™
Jun 2015
1:57pm, 24 Jun 2015
13,847 posts
  •  
GlennR
Thank you. I *am* a cyclist, but not a good one.
Jun 2015
5:35pm, 24 Jun 2015
20,121 posts
  •  
Night-owl
I've ridden a bike
Jun 2015
5:39pm, 24 Jun 2015
13,861 posts
  •  
GlennR
Well done Night-owl. :)

Greppers, having seen your comment to Canute on my blog it might be wise to pedal (see what I did there?) your wares on the over 50s thread.
Jun 2015
5:41pm, 24 Jun 2015
76,645 posts
  •  
GregP
I'm afeared of the over-50s thread as it's full of super-fast people, most of whom seem to be injured.
Jun 2015
5:46pm, 24 Jun 2015
20,122 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Not today

But I have in the past
Jun 2015
7:00pm, 24 Jun 2015
1,544 posts
  •  
Canute
Gregp
You would of course be very welcome on the O50 thread – we are a very mixed bunch who do all sorts of things – a few even cycle, though many do slightly more dotty things, like Eskimo rolling in a kayak.

I ended up here in response to your invitation but I am not a sport cyclist. Hitherto, I have only cycled for strictly practical reasons – such as getting home from work as quickly as possible, or occasionally for sightseeing e.g. French gothic cathedrals, which are often built on the top of little hills; or sightseeing in Switzerland, which is also hilly in parts.

Which brings us to Glenn’s rapidly bulging leg muscles. My impression is that non-expert cyclists use a high proportion of aerobic type 2 fibres when they cycle. As a result they sometimes get quite hungry afterwards. However, comments by yourself and Vrap suggest that old hands (or maybe experienced legs) acquire the knack of using type 1 fibres, which preferentially burning fat, when cycling, and hence can cycle all day on the remnants of last night’s supper.

Despite my lack of commitment to cycling, I have been watching with interest over the past few years as the A453 has been widened, to see whether or not the contractors would honour the promise to build a cycle path that would incidentally provide me with reasonably safe access to places where recreational cycling might be feasible. It would therefore be churlish to not at least dip my toe in sport cycling – though at least for the time being I will steadfastly refuse to buy a sport bike. However, I might buy toe clips for my commuter bike.

I would value any advice you might have to offer.
Jun 2015
7:53pm, 24 Jun 2015
76,650 posts
  •  
GregP
Long answer to follow - but as a general 'known fact' newcomers to the sport cycle with their muscles, not their lungs - this is true of runners coming to cycling, even though they/we should know better -

This manifests itself in low-cadence high-gear which leaves the athlete feeling they haven't exerted themselves but with inexplicably sore legs later.

More efficient - and far kinder to the joints of older athletes - is high cadence in a low gear - which leaves the newcomer feeling they've got all hot and sweaty needlessly - but without the sore legs.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A cycling wire for the more mature Fetchie.

Because running makes your legs fall off.