Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Am I going to struggle to regain fitness?

1 watcher
May 2013
7:45am, 10 May 2013
1154 posts
wiener dog
I've got an enforced lowered mileage period ( about a month, plus the two wks I've already cut ) - I was doing about 60- 70mpw sometimes more for about a year/18mths .... then I got astupid cyst on my kneecap which is going to be removed in 19 days. The recovery for the removal is not long according to Doctor 10-14 days just until the cut heals up as it's obviously on my knee it would tear if I ran before it healed. Thing is when I run at the mo I have to keep the distance short & take more rest days as the cyst swells up & becomes sore/irritated. Cross training is the same as it gets irritated by standing/walking/rowing anything that involves moving. I have still been doing weights & about 30-35mpw. Am I really going to struggle when I start to build back up agin to a better base? Anyone had experience of a major cut back of about a month?
May 2013
8:04am, 10 May 2013
12968 posts
Nick Cook
I had an operation on my bladder last January, which put me out of action for over a month (3 months off from cycling). I never ran as much as you, but I found the biggest problem was all the weight I put on. I had my Christmas weight and then the enforced layoff made it worse. I don't think it'll take you more than a month to get back to normal though, so long as your wound has healed properly and you don't get any other injuries. I was also hampered with calf problems on my comeback! :-(

I've now lost over a stone of the weight I put on and am feeling great!! :-)
May 2013
8:20am, 10 May 2013
1155 posts
wiener dog
That's good Nick ( not about the weight! ) I am a bit worried about gaining weight & have cut the food down :-( Thanks.
May 2013
2:16pm, 10 May 2013
330 posts
Roma
I'm just coming back from a 5 -week lay off - did little bits and pieces for 3 weeks and then complete rest for 2 weeks. I am doing 4 minutes jog/1 minute walk for 3-4 miles every other day at the moment, which is taking it veeery gently since I don't really know what was wrong with my leg (and it's still not right!!) At the moment I don't think I'd be able to do much more as legs feel very heavy (I haven't put any weight on!). In your case I think you will be able to build back up much more quickly :)
May 2013
3:49pm, 10 May 2013
1156 posts
wiener dog
Thanks Roma - I am sort of still doing bits here & there so yeah it's not a total stop - It's more of a stop start stop because the bursa gets irritated & sore then I have to wait for the inflammation to go before I irritate it again & total rest won't fix the issue as it won't ever go away until the offending lump is chopped out.

Hope your leg fixes soon.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I've got an enforced lowered mileage period ( about a month, plus the two wks I've already cut ) -...

Close