Altra VIRTUAL West Highland Way Race

20 watchers
Jun 2020
1:31pm, 27 Jun 2020
12,443 posts
  •  
Badger
Absolutely, and I respect your position. I rather agree with you that RED is run, but that said I can see the value of it motivating some folk to do some kind of exercise each day. And wouldn’t do it myself because my body, especially my left knee, needs its rest days!
Each to their own.
Jun 2020
5:52pm, 27 Jun 2020
4,107 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
I agree with the inclusiveness as well. The bloody trouble with a streak is it is probably more mentally challenging to stop than to start!

I have always been anti-streak for the obvious reasons.
Jul 2020
1:52pm, 4 Jul 2020
10,937 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Hi, I've set up a virtual race to the stones thread if anyone is interested. It starts on Monday.
Jul 2020
1:55pm, 4 Jul 2020
1,472 posts
  •  
shanksi
fetcheveryone.com/forum/virtual-race-to-the-stones-61516/
Jul 2020
8:06pm, 4 Jul 2020
10,732 posts
  •  
_andy
I was really tempted with this after the vwhw-race, especially with it being free to enter (what's to lose?) but I felt that it wouldn't rekindle the same nostalgia as the vwhw or the connecting to people and places.

Speaking of which, I'm just back in from a glorious 12 miles from Milngavie up the real thing, with a good exploration of Carbeth lodges (do they have a banjo or two in those woods?) and lots of Mugdock Park. Avoided the temptation to just keep heading north...
Jul 2020
8:20pm, 4 Jul 2020
10,945 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
I agree _andy, I know it won't generate the same feelings because I haven't done the real race, but I want to run some more miles and it will give me a reason. Your run sounds fab. We did a 9 mile loop up Hill of Fare today and it felt so good to be back in the hills!
May 2021
9:39pm, 16 May 2021
12,297 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Hi everyone. shanksi and I have signed up for this again. Any of you joining us virtually? Or maybe in reality we can get together for some miles as the rules will hopefully be eased more than this time last year.
May 2021
9:42pm, 16 May 2021
10,747 posts
  •  
Joopsy
I’m in Mrs S. It’s a massive step up in distance and none of it will be in Scotland but I’ll give it a go.
May 2021
9:52pm, 16 May 2021
13,559 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Signed up 🙈
May 2021
9:57pm, 16 May 2021
12,298 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Good stuff Joopsy & UC.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Following the cancellation of the 2020 Altra West Highland Way Race, we have decided to organise a virtual West Highland Way Race instead. The virtual events start at midnight on Thursday 11 June and allows people to run or walk 95 miles over 9.5 days, either individually, as a semi competitive 3 person relay team, or as a multi person fun relay team.

All entrants need to follow government guidelines for the period of the virtual race. Like all virtual events it relies on honesty from everyone, just getting out there, logging some miles as accurately as possible, and having some fun too.

Unlike the traditional event we are actively discouraging anyone from covering the 95 miles in one go. Instead you can run segments of your choosing, reaching the 3 checkpoint cutoffs, and then uploading your details to an online platform run by SI Entries.

Checkpoints are at:

Inversnaid - Leg 1: 36 miles to be completed by midnight on Monday 15 June;

Victoria Bridge, by Loch Tulla - Leg 2: a further 27 miles to be completed by midnight on Thursday 18 June;

Fort William - Leg 3: a further 32 miles giving a total of 95 miles to be completed by midday on Sunday 21 June.

Each runner or team needs to decide on a strategy according to their own ambitions and available time. Run and enjoy long single stages or break it down in to smaller (and possibly faster) stages - your imagination is your only guide.

On the evening of Saturday 20 June from 7pm to 8.30pm there will also be a show hosted by John Kynaston and Ian Beattie on the race Facebook page. They will chat with previous race winners and characters from earlier West Highland Way Races, along with a quiz.

More details, including a link to the entry page on SI Entries, can be found on the race website westhighlandwayrace.org