Altra VIRTUAL West Highland Way Race

20 watchers
Jun 2020
11:18am, 24 Jun 2020
10,871 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
A friend is suggesting they will do both the virtual Great Glen ultra and the virtual Race to the Stones with the same running miles because they are at the same time. What do you all think about that? I personally think it's not in the spirit of it to double count the miles. But I guess it's all virtual so what does it matter?
Jun 2020
12:08pm, 24 Jun 2020
2,189 posts
  •  
IanS
My view on these virtual races is that (for most of them) you're helping to keep small independent events going so they'll be here in the future once things return to more normal.
If you want to enter two at the same time and double count the miles I really don't think that matters, you're paying two entry fees so it's up to you how you accrue the miles.
Jun 2020
12:20pm, 24 Jun 2020
4,888 posts
  •  
DoricQuine
That's my view too IanS but I won't be entering GGU as I'd be walking it and the cut off is cutting it just a bit too fine for my wee leggies!
Jun 2020
6:03pm, 24 Jun 2020
4,066 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Mrs S, my honest view is that doubling or trebling up events for the same run is against the spirit of running, and especially Ultra's. Just my view, others have their own rules.
Jun 2020
6:24pm, 24 Jun 2020
35,313 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
To be honest the virtual events are just for a bit of motivation and community fun so you could totally make up the miles if you want. It's all just honesty anyway. Like Ian says at least it's money in coffers of event.

VWHW our team just made up our distance targets because we were way over our target! :-) G
Jun 2020
8:11pm, 24 Jun 2020
2,190 posts
  •  
IanS
You can argue it either way, I see them as social rather than competitive events and many small teams are putting on these events just to try and keep their cash flow ticking over
Jun 2020
8:17pm, 24 Jun 2020
4,079 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
No issues with doing them in series, but not parallel.
Jun 2020
9:46pm, 26 Jun 2020
1,720 posts
  •  
MikeR.
Just catching up with the thread. Jritchie happy to provide the entertainment.
Jun 2020
9:37am, 27 Jun 2020
12,442 posts
  •  
Badger
I’m doing the GVRAT and won’t be finishing that until mid August. The organisers of that has been very clear about being fine with people doing other virtual events simultaneously, but has enough clear rules about things that aren’t allowed that it isn’t just because he’s laid back about things.

I am in Ian’s camp on this. (I’m going to cop to doing one run which was simultaneously a charity 5k, the Centurion 50 mile, and the GVRAT 1000+km. I hope Fenners isn’t too scandalised!)
Jun 2020
11:44am, 27 Jun 2020
4,102 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Badger, (and Ian), we all play by our own rules. I know some that count RED instead of 'RUN' everyday it is some form of exercise every day, should that not be EED. And my own #runeveryday rule is the one borrowed from the Scots Marcothon which is at least 30 minutes or 3 miles.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Following the cancellation of the 2020 Altra West Highland Way Race, we have decided to organise a virtual West Highland Way Race instead. The virtual events start at midnight on Thursday 11 June and allows people to run or walk 95 miles over 9.5 days, either individually, as a semi competitive 3 person relay team, or as a multi person fun relay team.

All entrants need to follow government guidelines for the period of the virtual race. Like all virtual events it relies on honesty from everyone, just getting out there, logging some miles as accurately as possible, and having some fun too.

Unlike the traditional event we are actively discouraging anyone from covering the 95 miles in one go. Instead you can run segments of your choosing, reaching the 3 checkpoint cutoffs, and then uploading your details to an online platform run by SI Entries.

Checkpoints are at:

Inversnaid - Leg 1: 36 miles to be completed by midnight on Monday 15 June;

Victoria Bridge, by Loch Tulla - Leg 2: a further 27 miles to be completed by midnight on Thursday 18 June;

Fort William - Leg 3: a further 32 miles giving a total of 95 miles to be completed by midday on Sunday 21 June.

Each runner or team needs to decide on a strategy according to their own ambitions and available time. Run and enjoy long single stages or break it down in to smaller (and possibly faster) stages - your imagination is your only guide.

On the evening of Saturday 20 June from 7pm to 8.30pm there will also be a show hosted by John Kynaston and Ian Beattie on the race Facebook page. They will chat with previous race winners and characters from earlier West Highland Way Races, along with a quiz.

More details, including a link to the entry page on SI Entries, can be found on the race website westhighlandwayrace.org