Alton 10

1 watcher
May 2013
8:32am, 3 May 2013
6,129 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I was going to ask the same question re: race numbers as it doesn't say anything about it on the website.
May 2013
9:00am, 3 May 2013
1,104 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
The course is looking particularly lovely this year! Watch out for the bluebells on your left hand side as you go down the hill between mile 3 and 4. I saw hares on Wednesday evening as I ran around the route. There is a strong breeze on the exposed section at the top of the hill that seems to be pretty constant at the moment, but the views more than make up for that!
May 2013
4:41pm, 3 May 2013
4,641 posts
  •  
hillstrider
All race entrants should have received an e mail from Active Training World, containing an Alton 10 Race Programme. This states that "We are not sending out race numbers this year, so collect numbers from the registration desk at Eggars School, before 9.45 if possible."

Hope this is useful for those worried about race numbers.
May 2013
6:21pm, 3 May 2013
1,109 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
That's good to know. My email just says "MrsBridgewater thank you for registering for the Alton Ten!

Good luck with your training!

The Active Training World Team"

which is why I was a little concerned!
May 2013
1:50pm, 5 May 2013
1,113 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
Fab morning! Chatted briefly to Diogenes, saw RFJ, got all my flowers picked (having watered them first - benefits of living near the start) AND GOT A NEW PB! Yes I know that is shouting but I don't care! Have the biggest smile on my face! 2 minutes faster than last time I ran it, well over a minute faster than my previous 10mile PB (which was 16k really in France so not the same!) Very pleased, especially as I a) set out to run this as a training run and b) thought I'd ballsed it up by running the first mile far too fast!
May 2013
2:42pm, 5 May 2013
6,130 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Yes, good to chat to you MrsB, you finished not far behind me. Sorry for picking all your flowers. I too got a pb by about a minute (and a course best by about 8 mintes) but I am disappointed as I thought I was running on schedule for a 1:20:00.
May 2013
3:26pm, 5 May 2013
1,118 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
The flowers have been planted and tended just for picking today! Would have been far more but shortcut cam swung by and collected them all earlier last week - had to work hard to get some back on the course.

Look at it this way - you still have 1:20:00 to aim for - and it should be achievable on a nice flat 10 mile course (although I always mess up at the Great South Run and run really badly there).
May 2013
9:23pm, 5 May 2013
4,642 posts
  •  
hillstrider
Well done MrsB and Diogenes on your pb's. My 10 mile pb was over 20 years ago, but I was pleased with my 1.19.56. The distance, according to my Garmin was 10.11 miles.

I was told to look out for bluebells, but didn't see any. Where there any, or did I just miss them?

This was the first time I had run the Alton 10, and I certainly intend returning next year with the hope of improving my time.
May 2013
10:30pm, 5 May 2013
1,121 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
I last ran the 10 miles on Monday - there were loads of bluebells then on the left hand side as you go down the big hill after mile 3. They must have gone past their peak as I only saw a few small patches today. On Monday it was a sea of blue.
May 2013
12:28am, 6 May 2013
6,132 posts
  •  
Diogenes
My watch said I did 10.4 miles. My watch is in error, but sort of explains why I thought I was going to be nearer to 1:20 than I was. My own fault, I should have paid more attention to the official mile markers. I was pushing it at the end but I was too comfortable most of the way round.

I didn't notice the bluebells either but it is a lovely course, not as hard as some make out but challenging, certainly.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mrsbridgewater
Anyone doing this on Sunday? It is part of my regular LSR route, so I may take part, but I can't s...