Alternative Vote - 5th of May, 2011

3 watchers
Feb 2011
2:41pm, 15 Feb 2011
20,830 posts
  •  
Hoaxster
This is political. I don't care if you're offended. Ignore celebrities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_Alternative_Vote_referendum,_2011

Rather than a simple yes or no, shouldn't we first decide whether this has a cat's chance in Hell of achieving meaningful reform to what passes for democracy in the United Kingdom, whatsoever?
Feb 2011
3:14pm, 15 Feb 2011
3,152 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I am big supporter of proportional representation. I'm voting against AV. It's halfway house, that's little better than what went previously (in some ways worse, it is more confusing, and I believe that more people should vote and this would be an effective deterrent). PR in its purest form, is less complicated.
Feb 2011
4:11pm, 15 Feb 2011
20,832 posts
  •  
Hoaxster
If this is the carrot being offered in ruturn for so much stick, I will be sorely vexed. Words like 'reform' have been diluted to the strength of maidens' water and while I like to see the long game played out, the PR on this is likely to be a traditional cock fight between the usual suspects. Why, one might ask, is there so little debate happening now? Well we couldn't have the general public forming a considered view of the matter if the snappy television adverts and devilishly clever virals are to have their desired effect. Tricky one and no mistake. I'm leaning towards a yes on the basis that something might possibly be better than nothing. It's not a great starting point and I'd be happy to be convinced otherwise.
Feb 2011
4:21pm, 15 Feb 2011
639 posts
  •  
Pricey_
keep it how it is. I vote for one person because I want them to win. Sod the others.
Feb 2011
4:21pm, 15 Feb 2011
13,590 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Chris, I have same desire as you, but don't understand your logic.

Won't AV increase the chance of coalition government and rise of minority parties, who have a great interest in extending PR and hence will *increase* the chance of greater change? So I would vote for. Or have I misunderstood? :-)G
Feb 2011
4:52pm, 15 Feb 2011
3,153 posts
  •  
Chrisull
HappyG - yep agree, but the difference made by AV (from projected stats) is minimal and wouldn't make any impact for the rise of minority parties (if it was halfway house in terms of voting stats I might agree), also I fear it would dilute the public's appetite for change - once you've got AV, and if people were unhappy with it (which I suspect they would be), they'd be less likely to go to PR. Clegg was totally against AV in opposition, now this is the one crumb he has to throw to his party, for failing to secure any meaningful cabinet posts - deputy prime minister is a joke role.
Feb 2011
5:10pm, 15 Feb 2011
251 posts
  •  
loki
pricey - nothing under av would stop you doing that. a no vote gets spun as a rejection of pr. a yes vote props up the coalition for a bit longer. I'm still undecided.
Feb 2011
5:11pm, 15 Feb 2011
870 posts
  •  
The Penketh Runner
Any sort of PR has to be better than what we have where a party can have a large majority despite polling a similar number of votes as another
Feb 2011
5:31pm, 15 Feb 2011
3,228 posts
  •  
JJ Flash
* Has been watching out for a silk purse and is wondering how it became a sow's ear.*
Feb 2011
7:44pm, 15 Feb 2011
20,833 posts
  •  
Hoaxster
*is equally mystified*

progressives.org.uk

*remains so*

I wonder if we might have 'just stop it' as a third option.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hoaxster
This is political. I don't care if you're offended. Ignore celebrities.

http://en.wikipedia.o...