Really nice, made in Suffolk. Not very Amber in my opinion but I like it
Apr 2021
10:50pm, 30 Apr 2021
4,770 posts
  •  
quimby
Only tried two 0% so far.

Free Damm - absolutely blimmin' lovely!
Peroni Libera - 3.97 bottles did not clean the kitchen plughole very well, had to rinse a lot. You know, when we get flyers from a certain political party through the door, I refuse to let them go in the recycling, I burn them. Wondering if I can devise a similar fate for the Peroni bottles.
May 2021
8:03am, 1 May 2021
52,433 posts
  •  
DrPhleecingD
I agree quimby, FreeDamm is one of my favourites and the Peroni is foul
May 2021
5:33pm, 1 May 2021
14,178 posts
  •  
larkim
Bought FreeDamm on the recommendation of Lee Mack on the Adam Buxton podcast, as well as lucky Sant. Not opened either yet though.

Just quaffed a bottle of Sheppy's low alcohol classic cider though which was broadly indistinguishable from normal cider, very refreshing.
May 2021
7:15am, 22 May 2021
312 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
Interesting topic, thanks for sharing the information on your preferences. I have only forced Severn Trent Water to directly process 2 beers as they were that bad (DoomBar 0% and Old Speckled Hen 0.5%). The only ale I've found close to the real thing is Ghost Ship (0.5%) and I struggled to tell the difference between the 2, there is a a difference but in a blind test I was unsure which was which.

Re lagers, I haven't found any of them offensive, but agree I wouldn't rush out and get more Peroni Libera. I have a wholesale case of Heineken 0% which is fine with pizza and BBQs (the only times I drink lager).

Wheat beers, quite happy with them all but have done no back to back testing, Hoegaarden 0%, Bavaria 0% wit beer and Schneider Weisse AF are welcome in my fridge, Franziskaner Weissbier had an odd after taste which puts it in the acceptable category. I have never got on with Erdinger and could never understand the rave reviews it got.

Have M&S Southwold on the list to pick up when donating blood on Monday as well as Shipyard Low Tide and Free Damm.

My takeaway is that everyone's taste is different and that Low/ no alcohol beers have come a long way in the last 20 years and my taste buds have changed as I have got older. Moved from Fullers ES/ Tim Taylors Landlord to Fullers Bengal Lancer/ Castle Rock Harvest Pale/ Speckled Hen over the last 20 years. Normally have San Miguel, Corona with Pizza/ BBQs

On a final note Sainsburys self checkout had to age certify me for 0% alcohol, bizarre. Find what you like and then raise that glass, cheers.
May 2021
8:01am, 22 May 2021
4,783 posts
  •  
quimby
The OH had some Ghost Ship last night. He hasn't expressed an opinion, but had a second can, so it can't have been dreadful. I tried some Bavaria from Tesco. Nope. But Aldi's own brand Rheinbacher Pilsner is almost as good as Free Damm, and at £2.49 for 6 x 330ml you can't argue with that.
May 2021
8:50am, 22 May 2021
313 posts
  •  
ftrobbie
quimby there are at least 2 Bavaria 0% ("normal" and wit beer). Only had the wit beer, avoided the other. Will look at Aldi next time I'm near one and it's convenient to stop off. Thanks
May 2021
11:14am, 22 May 2021
4,784 posts
  •  
quimby
Hmm, the Bavaria I had was in cans, and just said "Bavaria. Holland." on it. No Wit. Had a Google - the Wit seems to be in bottles. It's on the Tesco web site but says "Unavailable" and most of the reviews say it's lovely and why have Tesco stopped stocking it.
May 2021
11:23am, 22 May 2021
14,861 posts
  •  
NDWDave
M&S southwold is decent - currently my favourite

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
What's your favourite zero / low alcohol beer, now there's loads for sale?

Which rank highly, and which are just rank? Offers, special deals, tasting notes, recommendations, all welcome!