Alco free beers

43 watchers
Mar 2019
12:06pm, 15 Mar 2019
6,993 posts
  •  
larkim
It's Lent, so my usual post-run recovery drink (a glass of red, though not if I do a morning run!) is off the table for me.

Last year I experimented with alco free wines. To be frank, they were revolting. None of the nice, dry, refreshing quality that wine has, instead just artificial sweetner taste and strange chemical flavours.

I do like a refreshment after a run, but I get bored of water, cordial etc, and I find "ordinary" soft drinks to be too sweet for my palate.

So this year I am trying out alco free beers. I do usually have Becks Blue in the house anyway simply because it is cheap and relatively refreshing on a hot day, and has that dryness that I like.

I've struggled to find Erdinger, though it is becoming more popular. I had that at the end of a duathlon a few years ago, and that wasn't half bad. Got some this year and it is nicer than Becks Blue, but doesn't seem freely available in smaller 250/330ml quantities at a decent price.

Nipped into Tesco last night to stock up and they had a good range - so will record here any feedback.

So far had the St Peters "Without" as it looked nice - pretty rank though, so I've got the final bottle of that to look forward to as part of my Lenten penance ;-)

Also had a can of Pistonheads Flat Tyre. Probably nicer than Becks, a bit sweeter and less "chemically" but perfectly drinkable. Not as nice as Erdinger though.

I've then got these still to try:-
Brewdog Nanny State
Warsteiner Fresh
Heinekken 0.0
Adnams Ghost Ship
Budweiser Prohibition

I'll post here with feedback, but any other suggestions for ones which are worth seeking out if you like the taste of a beer but want a alco free option? Erdinger sell theirs as being isotonic!!
Mar 2019
12:20pm, 15 Mar 2019
3,018 posts
  •  
StuH
Not tried any myself but they have been discussed more than once on the real ale thread, I remember the St Peter's one not going down well!

fetcheveryone.com/forum__22810__139__fetch_real_ale_drinkers_frad
Mar 2019
12:23pm, 15 Mar 2019
38,807 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Somebody (forget who) said that you get Erdinger at the end of some German races as a recovery drink!

It's the tastiest one, but I find it a bit gassy. After one, I'm inflated like a balloon.
Mar 2019
12:26pm, 15 Mar 2019
210 posts
  •  
Non-runner
If you can find Bavaria white, it’s very nice and cheap but I haven’t seen it lately, must have another try. I drink the original Bavaria but tend to mix it with tonic water as it’s a bit like weetabix. If you like a stout, Big Drop do a lovely one, a bit pricey so more for sipping rather than thirst quenching. I get it online from Beerhawk.
Mar 2019
12:28pm, 15 Mar 2019
6,994 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm impressed that the real ale drinkers stoop so low into the alco free ones!

Erdinger definitely market theirs as a recovery drink, and quite a few events in the NW have some sponsorship arrangement with them - Oulton Park duathlon, I think maybe even Manchester Marathon?

I don't mind gassy too much providing the taste isn't like that St Peter's. Ah well, live and learn! Maybe I can make a decent shandy out of it with a lot of lemonade!
Mar 2019
12:30pm, 15 Mar 2019
6,995 posts
  •  
larkim
I'd steered clear of the shelved Bavaria ones as the last time I tried Bavaria (the blue one I think) it was rank. Perhaps the white has the same benefit that Erdinger has, being a wheat-based one? I'll investigate!

40 days and 40 nights of Lent, and one of those per night, and I'll have soon exhausted all possible options!
Mar 2019
12:30pm, 15 Mar 2019
17,596 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
Manchester Half Marathon served Erdinger at the finish. It wasn't very nice....

Just after this picture was taken, I poured it down a drain
Mar 2019
12:31pm, 15 Mar 2019
38,808 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I've considered that but it feels like it'll be gassy + gassy = explosive.

You have to be very careful how you pour Erdinger (it's stocked at our local Sains BTW) as it froths up *very* quickly.
Mar 2019
211 posts
  •  
Non-runner
I’ve just looked at beerhawk’s alcohol-free range and they’ve got tons of choice, they do mixed cases so you could try a range and see what you like.
Mar 2019
38,809 posts
  •  
McGoohan
(That was to + lemonade)

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
What's your favourite zero / low alcohol beer, now there's loads for sale?

Which rank highly, and which are just rank? Offers, special deals, tasting notes, recommendations, all welcome!