Affect on fitness levels? - All cycling no running

1 watcher
Sep 2012
1:04pm, 23 Sep 2012
6,112 posts
  •  
The Terminator
Cheers ITR. Lol at RW plan comment.

Is that you offering to share you plan with me :-)
Sep 2012
2:56pm, 23 Sep 2012
1,262 posts
  •  
IanThinkRunning
No not particularly. More like me saying we are probably in a similar boat for different reasons. I'm far from expert at these things and for quite a while haven't done much of a plan on paper - just done one from my head really, adapting it as I go along depending on how I feel/niggles or whatever.

Whatever you choose to do, you have to remember that any plan is just a guide and you will have to swap stuff around at times and you don't have to get anal about sticking exactly to the letter. Part of being skilful with training is being able to understand the signals you get from your body and being able to adapt the plan to suit. Worst thing you can do is execute a plan to the bitter end and get to teh start line completely knackered and semi/fully injured.
Sep 2012
3:01pm, 23 Sep 2012
1,263 posts
  •  
IanThinkRunning
Of course that doesn't mean I'm not willing to share a plan to at least give you an idea of how to structure your own.

I could help you to build your own too but of course I'd have to know all your target races/testers and the main goal along with how long you have to that goal.

Plus I do believe there are much more knowledgable types than I when it comes to structured training. Gobi helped me a lot a few years ago when I ran a 3:02 marathon.
Sep 2012
3:45pm, 23 Sep 2012
450 posts
  •  
Canute
TT sorry to hear that your toe, hip flexor and calf were screaming when you started to run. You have made the right decision.

It is probably too early to formulate a specific detailed plan yet. Instead you need to be flexible as ITR implies. Once the toe has settled agin, start with easy runs on alternate days and carefully monitor how the muscles and other connective tissues are coping, while keeping the aerobic fitness up with cycling. As a cronky old-timer with connective tissues that grumble even when I am not injured, I have found one or two sessions per week on the elliptical cross trainer helpful as it allows weight bearing without the additional eccentric load of running. Proved you are careful to protect the toe, exercises such as calf raises and hip-swings might also provide some exercise that is more ‘running specific’. Good luck.
Sep 2012
3:47pm, 23 Sep 2012
6,113 posts
  •  
The Terminator
I'm pretty good with the sensible planning scenario, have used P and D for last few marathons. In honesty though is just about building a base and getting used to doing lots of slow miles before next March now and this breathefitnessandevents.wordpress.com Must be fit and able come March 28th
Sep 2012
4:06pm, 23 Sep 2012
1,264 posts
  •  
IanThinkRunning
P&D are good. I used an adapted one a while ago for my training up to a 35 miler and I was pleased with the result.

Good luck on your event Terminator. With that in mind I'd definitely recommend building up gradually and carefully so that you become accustomed to lots of running. I don't think you have to get used to running 30 miles per day for a long period prior to the event though. You could try that but I think you'd end up rather tired and maybe incur overuse injury.

Play it by ear, build gradually, don't rush it and you'll be fine.
Sep 2012
9:08pm, 23 Sep 2012
6,115 posts
  •  
The Terminator
Missed your post earlier Canute,thanks again for the advice.

ITR I agree on all points, thank you too.

Will keep you updated on progress, best of luck with your repective plans too..

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by MaT.T
Just to quickly recap although most who know me on here are aware, I have whinged enough :-) , I bro...