Advice please

1 watcher
Feb 2013
7:13pm, 22 Feb 2013
72 posts
  •  
km10
Help. Advice please :-( just been out for steady run, got to bout 4 mile and lower back leg started hurting. Not sure if calf. Walked home. Any stretches, or anything i can do, hot bath? Any advice appreciated :-( thanks
Feb 2013
7:23pm, 22 Feb 2013
10,223 posts
  •  
runner duck
is it sore now, km?

if it is i'd have a hot bath and massage it as best you can. then rice it.

if it's not too sore they try stretching it. i like stretching by standing on stairs facing up the stairs. place mid-foot on edge of step then drop the heel down. do it gently and see how it feels. still do the hot bath/massage/rice.

hopefully it'll feel a lot better in the morning.
Feb 2013
6:13pm, 23 Feb 2013
76 posts
  •  
km10
Thanks R.d Still not feeling right today, going to continue with rice and going to reat it till next fri, the try a short slow run, see how it feels an take it from there, just have to keep fingers crossed :)
Feb 2013
7:14pm, 23 Feb 2013
22,345 posts
  •  
swittle
km10, sounds a good plan. Suggest you try a ten-minute walk on level ground before deciding to run. You don't mention medication: aspirin to reduce swelling is my preference.

Hope it's better news this time next week. :)
Feb 2013
8:36pm, 23 Feb 2013
100 posts
  •  
Phil70
Sorry to hear about your injury, km.

I would presume it is your calf, although if it appears to be in the lower calf you might be looking at the achilles tendon. Definately follow the rice procedure and try to do some gentle massaging. Doing eccentric heel drops twice a day will help strengthen the area if you have strained the achilles tendon.
Feb 2013
8:38pm, 23 Feb 2013
77 posts
  •  
km10
Thanks phil, what do you mean by heal drops?
Feb 2013
8:48pm, 23 Feb 2013
102 posts
  •  
Phil70
Place your injured foot on the bottom stair or a large book. Balance on the front of that foot with the heel over the edge of the stair. Then gently bend your knee and return to a straight leg. All the work is being done by the injured leg which is taking your weight. The link below shows a demonstration on You Tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcwaMVXlvJ4
Feb 2013
8:55pm, 23 Feb 2013
79 posts
  •  
km10
Thanks Phil. will try that tomorrow :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by km10
Help. Advice please :-( just been out for steady run, got to bout 4 mile and lower back leg started ...