Advice on running with your dog

10 watchers
Aug 2014
4:21pm, 22 Aug 2014
3,948 posts
  •  
2 Flat Feet
I ran UTLD with a pooch (not mine) and that's 50+. He was still bounding at the end, but his paws were raw. When I ran with Obi (my springer) he easily made 20 but I never managed to get him to marathon distance, more's the pity. And that wasn't his fault.
Aug 2014
4:22pm, 22 Aug 2014
5,910 posts
  •  
lammo
I did some fartleks with my cocker spaniel last night, although not really planned - it started raining on our way home from the park.

She's mental and only 6 months old, but she really loved the fast bits.

Thankfully we only had about 500metres to cover :-)

Somebody should write a blog from the dogs perspective, could be hilarious.
Aug 2014
4:22pm, 22 Aug 2014
16,370 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Louis - one of my club members (collie owner) ran The Green Man with his dog and did a year's 10K streak with the hound also. Fmail me if you like and I can hopefully arrange for you 2 to chat.
Aug 2014
4:25pm, 22 Aug 2014
14,781 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Undoubtedly you'll be doing plenty of running in the build up to the race yourself - so there's plenty of opportunities for your dog to run with you, and for it to get some fitness, without it having to do the full race.

I do about five miles with Stephen at the moment, and I can see that by the end of that he's gone from running circles around me, to trotting behind me - and I take that as a sign that he's a bit tired, or had enough. So I don't take him much further than that really. Similarly with Arnie, he'd go up to about ten miles, but towards the end of that, he'd be starting to lag back, or looking a bit cheesed off.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Morning I've come to the conclusion that I would like to try and train my 7 year old Labrador up fo...