Advice needed - fatigue

6 watchers
Jun 2017
3:41pm, 5 Jun 2017
First-time poster!!
  •  
Jimmyhaigh
Hi everyone, I need some advice.

For the past yesr or so I have been struggling with fatigue. I feel tired constantly and I even think it affects how quickly I can think etc. As a runner, some fatigue is to be expected, but my running has started to plateau. As a PB 17min 5k runner who averages about 45-50 mpw. I haven't been able to break 18 mins for a while now. And I feel I should be progressing at a faster rate, given my coaching and two hard speed sessions per week.

I have a very good base level of speed. E.g. I can 5 min mile any day of week, but I am really struggling to build up the endurance as I just become tired when racing.

I spoke to my GP about anemia and she did a blood test, which I was told over the phone 'came back normal', however I'm convinced there is something wrong medically that is impeding my progress.

BTW, I'm a 19 year old male.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jun 2017
3:49pm, 5 Jun 2017
3,729 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
welcome to Fetch.

I have been suffering similar issues, and all blood tests came back normal. It looks like I've "just" been trying to do too much lately. my reaction to running being harder than normal is often to try to run more, or cram in speed sessions when I'm not really fit for them, which has the opposite to the desired effect

You mention that you run 45-50 mpw and 2 hard speed sessions per week. I guess this isn't too much for a healthy 19 year old male, but how often do you have cut backs? do you have any easy miles in there? how often do you race?

Also worth looking at your diet- are you eating well? making sure you're fuelling sufficiently for training/racing, and have a balanced diet with all the right nutrients etc?
Jun 2017
3:56pm, 5 Jun 2017
3,730 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
ps. my husband also had a similar issue last year, to the point where he was in tears at the end of runs because he was just so exhausted and didn't know why. it's very easy to be convinced there must be some medical reason, but don't underestimate how debilitating over training can be
Jun 2017
4:02pm, 5 Jun 2017
2 posts
  •  
Jimmyhaigh
Thanks. I do lots of easy running, and don't feel like I'm doing too mcih. But that's easy to say... just wondering if there could be something medical. I know plenty of runners manage high mileage, and 45-50 isn't too high
Jun 2017
4:03pm, 5 Jun 2017
1,972 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Earlier this year, my legs were constantly tired - not just after a long run. I was really worried that I would not be able to run long distances any more. It took a while to clear but I am now able to put in some decent mileage (admittedly not quite as long as before) and the tiredness has gone!

Please consider the issue as short-term and not longer - and stay optimistic!
Jun 2017
4:09pm, 5 Jun 2017
36,296 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Statistically, the likelihood of finding a medical explanation for fatigue as an isolated symptom is vanishingly small. It's tremendously common - I will see several people every week whose main problem is that they're always tired, sometimes with other not very specific symptoms like aches and pains, headaches or weight changes, and look for a medical explanation but very rarely find one. When there is a medical reason for tiredness, there are usually pointers to what the problem might be.

Running isn't necessarily the only thing that contributes to fatigue. Other things going on in your life can affect the amount of training you can cope with at any time.
Jun 2017
4:12pm, 5 Jun 2017
891 posts
  •  
mbln
Welcome to fetch.
While, as you say, many runners manage high mileage, this can be a function of how long they've been training for, as well as how well they recover. Just because someone else can do it, doesn't mean it's right for you.
If you've been fatigued for a year something is out of balance, either your training or your recovery. Have you tried taking a break from training for a few days or a week?
Jun 2017
4:13pm, 5 Jun 2017
3 posts
  •  
Jimmyhaigh
Ok thanks everyone. Just find it odd that I have plateaued so easily despite the hard training I do
Jun 2017
4:15pm, 5 Jun 2017
892 posts
  •  
mbln
It's probably due to the training that you have plateaued - the training breaks you down, it's the recovery that makes you better ;)
Jun 2017
4:16pm, 5 Jun 2017
12,659 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
One word, Diet.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jimmyhaigh
Hi everyone, I need some advice.

For the past yesr or so I have been struggling with fatigue. I ...