Advice from medical people wanted on bike fall arm injury

2 watchers
Sep 2014
7:11am, 10 Sep 2014
3,258 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Last night I came off my bike. Bike's fine and I patched up my road rash. But as I fell, I put a lot of weight through my right (dominant) arm. I have pain from my elbow all down my forearm. No bruising or obvious swelling, and I can move all joints, although range of movement is limited. I can't bring my right hand to touch my nose without it being very painful through the elbow.

Do I need to spend the morning in A&E to get an X-ray? Or is it likely just a strain, and ice and compression will help? Planning on going to my local pharmacy for advice this morning. But would appreciate your advice.
Sep 2014
7:16am, 10 Sep 2014
17,961 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Can you twist your wrist - as in turn your hand palm down to palm up? Is there a tender spot on the outside of your elbow? If either of those are a problem I'd be concerned about your radial head. I wouldn't bother about advice from the pharmacy, they're good at medicine but not diagnosis. Do you have a local minor injuries unit? If not, I'd suggest a& E
Sep 2014
7:25am, 10 Sep 2014
1,440 posts
  •  
PenW
Hi Scribbs. Sorry to hear about injury. If you need to get it checked try minor injuries aR RVI - if you go early it is quiet ie before 9 and they can do X-ray if concerned. Hope all is ok!
Sep 2014
7:29am, 10 Sep 2014
17,963 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Just re-read original post, if you can't touch your nose you need your radial head x-rayed. Minor injuries or A&E please x
Sep 2014
7:43am, 10 Sep 2014
3,260 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
I can do palm down to palm up and touch my nose now I've started to move around this morning, but there is a painful spot on the outside of my elbow.
Sep 2014
8:01am, 10 Sep 2014
1,441 posts
  •  
PenW
I would get it checked out as HB suggested - she said sore spot should be checked. Minor injuries at RVI opens 8am and the one in shire moor opens at 10am. I'd recommend RVI as it is quiet early on (mostly staff getting seen before shift when I went - I waited about 5 mins at about 8:45am). X-Ray is right opposite the unit!
Sep 2014
8:02am, 10 Sep 2014
3,261 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
On my way to RVI now. Thanks Pen and HB
Sep 2014
10:05am, 10 Sep 2014
3,262 posts
  •  
The Scribbler
Radial head fracture, but not displaced. Back to the fracture clinic tomorrow.
Brilliant service at RVI in and out in an hour.

Messed up my plans for cycling in Scotland next week, but could be worse.

Thank you very much Hells Bells for your advice xx
Sep 2014
10:08am, 10 Sep 2014
30,792 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Glad that was spotted, radial head fractures often get missed on the initial perusal of the x-ray.

Heal quickly :)
Sep 2014
11:39am, 10 Sep 2014
17,967 posts
  •  
HellsBells
sorry you're broken but glad to help
heal well
x

About This Thread

Maintained by TheScribbler
Last night I came off my bike. Bike's fine and I patched up my road rash. But as I fell, I put a lo...