Advice for the Baltic please.

1 watcher
Dec 2011
9:01am, 20 Dec 2011
First-time poster!!
  •  
madmoosey
Hello all,

I'm currently training for my first Ultra Marathon in June next year. However I'm after a bit of advice.

I'm due to go to the Baltics over Feb and March with the Royal Navy and during my stops which will be cold and in some places snow, I would like to know any advice on the type of shoe to use (I know my gait) for the baltic terrain and also clothing recommendations. Obviously warm/suitable clothes but what ones?

Anyone run in the likes of Olso and Haarstad before??

Regards

Madmoosey
Dec 2011
9:09am, 20 Dec 2011
176 posts
  •  
Derby Two Turtle Doves Tup
Some of my favourite cold weather kit:

Merino Buff

Thick wool socks peteblandsports.co.uk
Powerstretch tights (I have Rab ones but several manufacturers sell them)
Buffalo mitts needlesports.com
Lowe Alpine Mountain cap amazon.co.uk

If you're running in snow fell shoes would be good. Something like either Inov8 Mudclaws or Walsh PBs. I wouldn't worry too much about your gait if it's seriously snowy, grip would be much more important! ;-)
Dec 2011
9:18am, 20 Dec 2011
2 posts
  •  
madmoosey
Cheers for the reply.

Will have a gander at those recommendations.

I only mentioned gait to prevent people mentioning it first hehe
Dec 2011
11:05am, 20 Dec 2011
2,779 posts
  •  
RichHYule
I second the Merino Buff. It's the best piece of kit I have. You'd be surprised at how much more comfortable you are if your neck and ears are toasty on a chilly day running or on your bike.
Dec 2011
11:06am, 20 Dec 2011
11,289 posts
  •  
MissChappo
Fetch beanie hat. Never known it to be cold enough to run in one in this country.
Dec 2011
9:44pm, 20 Dec 2011
3 posts
  •  
madmoosey
Cheers for the replies
Dec 2011
9:54pm, 20 Dec 2011
1,225 posts
  •  
That man from March
Welcome to Fetch Madmossey. I had a holiday in Olso once and we ran round a lake. I think it was to the north of the city. It was a great place to run and was used by some of the athletes competing in the Bislett Games that we went to see that week.
Dec 2011
10:20pm, 20 Dec 2011
4 posts
  •  
madmoosey
I hate the cold but I have little choice it's either treadmill running in ship's gym or get out off the ship and run which I prefer.

Norway, Denmark, Poland, Germany will be new places for me to run so looking forward to it mostly, just not the cold lol
Dec 2011
2:21am, 21 Dec 2011
4,901 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Welcome madmoosey :-) Good luck for the ultra. Feb /March - not that cold, surely? Shorts, obvs ;-), arm and head cover if it really is cold (or cold and wet). I have a cheapish pair of NB trail shoes for snow, though if I needed something more serious (ie I was faster and weighed less) I fancy the Kanadias. It's surprising how "not cold" it can be after ten minutes running (and I'm basing this on last years -10C and worse).
Dec 2011
5:08am, 21 Dec 2011
66,456 posts
  •  
santababy
Kanadias are great in the snow, i was wondering if it's *that8 snowy you might need some sort of spike though? I've only ran on WHW and Penltand hills in deep or packed snow

About This Thread

Maintained by madmoosey
Hello all,

I'm currently training for my first Ultra Marathon in June next year. However I'm a...