Advanced Marathoning by P&D Any tried the schedules?

86 watchers
Nov 2022
11:10am, 24 Nov 2022
1,075 posts
  •  
tipsku
I'm also a fan of running shorter, really fast intervals rather than longer at 5k pace. I'm a plodder with a hiking background before getting into running so speed development and the preservation of fast twitch fibers is a known weakness for me. So I like the 100m efforts that the plan prescribes in the first week, as they address that. I do that once a week anyways, have a set of strides at faster than 5k pace in an easy run.

Also, I'll probably have to fit in more races than the plan wants me to do because I intend to compete in the city championship series again. So I may substitute interval sessions with extra races.
Nov 2022
11:14am, 24 Nov 2022
44,754 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Ah, so I'm probably the opposite tipsku - I am naturally quite quick over shorter distances (school a bit of running, and a lot of rugby school and university), so I feel that I need to improve the endurance side most. I was rubbish at ultras, for just that reason, I think - the people from a hiking background had a big advantage, and I never did enough training to remedy that. :-) G
Nov 2022
11:14am, 24 Nov 2022
1,463 posts
  •  
riggys99
Shortcut Cam that’s the best way use the books/plans as a guide and work out what works for you. It’s probably what everybody does. In my view a bit of a pick n mix approach to the various training plans could work well. If you look at the different plans they all have the same basic elements in them base miles, long run, tempo, MP etc
Nov 2022
11:16am, 24 Nov 2022
44,756 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah, plus one for that riggys - they're more the same than they are different. Despite what their marketing of their own "unique" aspect might be! :-) G
Nov 2022
11:35am, 24 Nov 2022
1,083 posts
  •  
tipsku
I'm also lurking on the 3:15 thread and found riggys99 doing the easy interval method. I may try to do the interval sessions in that style. I usually find it hard to do interval sessions on the track and I struggle to hit my goal paces, so maybe EIM is an option. At present, I can't see myself do most of my runs as EI like he does but it could add some variety to the plan.
Nov 2022
11:38am, 24 Nov 2022
1,464 posts
  •  
riggys99
Yeah, plus one for that riggys - they're more the same than they are different. Despite what their marketing of their own "unique" aspect might be! G
Not going to sell many books saying this is more or less the same as every other book.
As discussed on the sub 3:15 thread i have used the easy interval method mainly for my last race. The discussion made me think about the pros and cons of that and the P+D and at the moment I am thinking of doing a pick and mix of both methods for April 23 marathon (or 50k not decided yet)
Nov 2022
11:39am, 24 Nov 2022
1,084 posts
  •  
tipsku
So in essence, I agree with riggys99, a bit of pick an mix to suit the individual is a good idea. I'm grateful for getting all the input from you in various threads to improve my training. 👍🏼
Nov 2022
11:40am, 24 Nov 2022
1,465 posts
  •  
riggys99
Sorry tipsku cross post with you more or less saying the same thing
At present I am thinking of P+D for the MP long runs and tempo and EIM for the rest (including long runs with surges and a midweek longer run with 2k intervals)
Nov 2022
11:46am, 24 Nov 2022
1,085 posts
  •  
tipsku
Great minds... riggys99 ☺️

I'm glad that we came to a similar conclusion after following the discussion on both threads. I took some inspiration from the EIM you posted about and you got something out of the P&D discussion.
Nov 2022
11:48am, 24 Nov 2022
44,757 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I am no longer targeting marathon times, so I don't really care about speed. I just want to get to the start line as strong / fresh as possible, to enjoy my race. I know that if I don't train, I can't just "plod" my way around in 4 hours plus (no disrespect to those who have a best of 4 hours plus, btw, it's all relative - my best was low 3s, so you'd think 4+ would be "easy", but it's not).

So using it to enforce a bit of mileage, a bit of structure (including recovery) and a bit of fun / sharpening within it too. :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by IanRunner
Here's the book on Amazon:

amzn.to