Adios Boost or plain old Adios ?

3 watchers
Oct 2013
11:00pm, 2 Oct 2013
304 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
My current road race shoes ( Nike Zoom Streak 4 ) are beginning to split at the side of the uppers. Sure I'll still get a few more races out of them, but was in Decathlon today and they had a pair of Adidas Adios 2 reduced to £54 ( the yellow and white ones, not the latest purple and orange ones - but that's not an issue )
Has any run in both the "normal" Adios and the new Adios Boost ? How do they compare ? Cheapest I can see the Boost ones is about £91, so quite a bit more, but if they feel brilliant then might be persuaded.

These would be for distances up to marathon
Oct 2013
6:25am, 3 Oct 2013
69,690 posts
  •  
santababy
cant see the difference? go for cheaper ones, think I've got s pair of adios that I wear when when my legs/feet are bit tired after longer stuff
Oct 2013
7:15am, 3 Oct 2013
263 posts
  •  
Carlos Fandango Jnr
As a shoe whore, I own/wear both - used Adios 2 for over a year for sessions and races longer than 10k and had a pair of Adios Boosts for about 2 weeks. Whisper it, but I (currently) prefer the feel of the Adios 2 despite obviously wanting to like the new shoe more, to justify having bought it.

The Boosts are a bit spongy - I did a speed session in them last week and whilst the shoe felt bouncy, I think this slowed down my step-rate (cadence?) so actually I ended up running slower. Strange one. They feel great on tempo runs though, so might be alright in longer races - I'm probably going to try them in the Cardiff Half on Sunday just to be sure though so they can't be that bad!

Weight is near as dammit identical according to my kitchen scales (224g v 226g) and both are in my opinion a bit heavy for races up to and including 10k. I'd say the Boost is probably no worse a shoe than the Adios 2, although it feels a bit funny to begin with and may not be designed for 200m sprints...

Oh another thing - the heel feels a bit higher/more solid on the Adios 2, although apparently the drop is the same.
Oct 2013
7:17am, 3 Oct 2013
264 posts
  •  
Carlos Fandango Jnr
Adidas marketing will love that... "probably no worse than the Adios 2".

Sorry!
Oct 2013
7:39am, 3 Oct 2013
69,691 posts
  •  
santababy
honest opinion, thats what he asked for :) we're not here to pander to shoe companies
Oct 2013
7:48am, 3 Oct 2013
305 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Great CFJ, just the sort of real world views that I wanted - may check back with you next week to see how they went in the Half, good luck with that.
Oct 2013
1:28pm, 3 Oct 2013
10,451 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
I've recently bought a pair of Adios Boost and the jury is still out...I've ran a couple of long runs in 'em (13 and 22 miles) straight out of the box and didn't have any major issues. I've had one small rub point where the laces are but this was more to my sock than the shoe. The only issue I've noticed is my quads and calves felt quite battered at the end of the 22 miler... This could be more down to the fact that it was a 22 miler and I haven't ran long in a while however, I'm a BoF runner so don't normally load my quads when running...

I was gonna use them for the Yorkshire Marathon on a couple of weeks but I've decided to bed them in over a longer period (just to be on the safe side) and stick to my trusty ol' Musha's.
Oct 2013
2:58pm, 3 Oct 2013
265 posts
  •  
Carlos Fandango Jnr
The leg battering is something I've had too, and I think it's courtesy of the "increased energy return" that the shoe "offers".

This is marketed by Adidas as if you can reuse the energy, rather like drinking your own "urine" and having a second pop at the nutrients that you missed first time round*, but actually it just sends vibrations back up your legs differently to how EVA does it.

*I knew a guy who did this - kept it in the fridge for later... his housemate thought that was rather peculiar.
Oct 2013
3:41pm, 3 Oct 2013
306 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Hmmm, battered quads doesn't sound too good SODIron. Although I suppose if they were used mainly as race shoes, and they helped you perform better in the race, and it was just after that the quads were sore, then that would be ok - I think.......

What's a BoF runner ?

Eeugh, I'll pass on the urine drinking though CFJ !!
Oct 2013
4:21pm, 3 Oct 2013
69,695 posts
  •  
santababy
Ball of foot Angus

About This Thread

Maintained by K5 Gus
My current road race shoes ( Nike Zoom Streak 4 ) are beginning to split at the side of the uppers. ...