Adidas Silverstone Half

2 watchers
Feb 2017
11:00am, 23 Feb 2017
51 posts
  •  
willdowney
I got my Silverstone half pack through yesterday – 12pm start ffs…Didn’t realize that when I entered. Also states to be the by 10.30am…Talk about a day killer

What’s the logistics like? Long bag ques? Long car park ques (Getting there and leaving)? If I leave based on the sat nav getting me to the location at 11/11.15am am I likely to get into trouble parking, dropping my bag off and getting to the start? Do I really need 90 minutes grace to do all this?
Feb 2017
11:17am, 23 Feb 2017
9 posts
  •  
George Smiley
I don't know what this will be like, but when F1 is there the roads around Silverstone are pretty static. We shall see I guess, though 12pm start is rather off putting
Feb 2017
5:37pm, 24 Feb 2017
7,992 posts
  •  
Ness
My only experience of this race was in March 2009. I was distinctly unimpressed with the organisation TBH. The start had to be delayed because of congestion in the car park and lots of people having not made it to the start. After the race it also took a very long time to get out of the car park. There was no system of marshalling cars of the car park so it ended up being a free for all that ground to a halt!

I vowed I wouldn't run it again and haven't. It was a long time ago though so hopefully things will have got better.
Feb 2017
1:47pm, 25 Feb 2017
12 posts
  •  
stevieg
Used to do this one as my regular spring half, before I discovered Wokingham.

Did it 4 or 5 times. Only once did I have problem with traffic, starting 5mins after the race had started!! Thank goodness it's one of the few races that ranked by chip time!

Main moans I used to see on RW threads every year was people only discovering late on Silverstone wasn't in London, and that public transport isn't exactly easy!

Apart from that, it seems to be even more of a charity event now, and they shut entries off earlier than ever!
One year my mate came along for support, and actually entered on the day!

Keep saying i'll do it again one year, but the years keep trickling away...
Feb 2017
1:48pm, 25 Feb 2017
13 posts
  •  
stevieg
Forgot to actually say the one bit i'd meant to!

Unless you are very very early on the grid, you'll be lucky to start anywhere near where you should do...
I don't think I ever started any further forward than the 1:45 marker, despite always running well under 1.30s there!
Lots of weaving for a few miles!
Feb 2017
3:17pm, 25 Feb 2017
24 posts
  •  
Cinders
Last time I did it there were queues to get in and even longer ones to get out!
Mar 2017
12:03pm, 10 Mar 2017
7 posts
  •  
Shabs
Have an entry for this weekend's race - free to anyone who wants it - short notice double booking so cant make it.

Also live within 5 miles of Silverstone so you can pick up chip and bib number etc en-route.
Aug 2018
9:00pm, 17 Aug 2018
14 posts
  •  
stevieg
haven't posted on here for a long time, but it looks like 2017 was the last year at Silverstone then.

A shame as I intended to "One day" do it again.
Mar 2020
5:18pm, 1 Mar 2020
17 posts
  •  
stevieg
Has anyone done it since the new lot took over?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by willdowney
I got my Silverstone half pack through yesterday – 12pm start ffs…Didn’t realize that when I e...