Acutely swollen cervical lymph node - can I still train?

1 watcher
Jan 2013
11:35am, 22 Jan 2013
37 posts
  •  
jenc
I've been suffering from a cough for last three weeks and though it was just due to a post-nasal drip type thing after recovering from a bad cold at Christmas. I've been plowing on with early marathon training regardless and think I feel ok.
This morning I noticed my neck muscles were a little sore and when I reached up to feel it there was a large painful swollen lymph node in the posterior angle of my neck. Round, non-fixated, probably realistically
Jan 2013
11:36am, 22 Jan 2013
23,658 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
You mean, like, a node that seems to have taken on a life of its own?
Jan 2013
11:37am, 22 Jan 2013
38 posts
  •  
jenc
Sorry I've lost half that post, bear with, bear with...
Jan 2013
11:39am, 22 Jan 2013
39 posts
  •  
jenc
It's less than 2cm is really sore but I feel ok. I still have a cough but I think it's getting better. I was posting because I'm not sure (being a medic hypochondriac) if its serious, if I should continue to train at full whack or is this just my bodies attempt at fighting a sinus infection I just haven't got rid of.
Jan 2013
11:40am, 22 Jan 2013
40 posts
  •  
jenc
Yeah, I guess it is a node that has taken a life of its own.
Jan 2013
11:54am, 22 Jan 2013
23,659 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
If there isn't an obvious underlying source of infection, it would be worth letting your GP have a look. And if there is, then that probably ought to be treated.

I'd advise only the lightest of training in the meantime.
Jan 2013
11:56am, 22 Jan 2013
41 posts
  •  
jenc
Thanks Velociraptor.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I've been suffering from a cough for last three weeks and though it was just due to a post-nasal dr...