Acupuncture - is a lot of pain afterwards normal?

2 watchers
Apr 2014
9:18pm, 17 Apr 2014
2,850 posts
  •  
Carpathius
I've been having physio including acupuncture on my shoulder and neck for seven weeks now. Normally the physio puts the needles in, jiggles them a bit until I feel a sensation like a deep ache then leaves them, maybe tweaking them after a while so I can feel them again. This aches a little but doesn't properly hurt.

Today I saw a different physiotherapist who moved the needle in my shoulder (trapezius) all the time which hurt like anything. He said it would feel like I've been punched in the side of my neck afterwards.

I can't move my shoulder much, lift my arm to my face and it hurts a lot as well as being very tender to touch. Is this normal?
Apr 2014
9:22pm, 17 Apr 2014
17,542 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
No.

Not to alarm you, but tenderness around where you have had a needle stuck in might suggest infection, which your other symptoms could corroborate.

I haven't seen it, and I might be being over-cautious, but I would recommend a trip to the ED, it might be nothing, but from what you have said I would err on the side of caution.
.B.
Apr 2014
9:24pm, 17 Apr 2014
11,045 posts
  •  
.B.
The acupuncture I have had has been more like your previous experiences. definitely sometimes a bit painful when the needles are put in or tweaked, but not painful afterwards.
Apr 2014
10:41pm, 17 Apr 2014
1,372 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
My experience of acupunture is pretty much the same as your previous experience and .B.'s. I've never heard of anyone having that amount of pain after treatment. Possibly a needle has been inserted and moved around a bit too vigorously and damaged a nerve or muscle fibre, or as Johnny O says possible infection, but I'm definitely no expert so I can't say for certain. I would definitely make some investigations and get it seen to. Go back and see your physio and inform him/her of the affects this particular session has had on you.
Apr 2014
10:46pm, 17 Apr 2014
2,852 posts
  •  
Carpathius
Thanks for your replies. It's calmed down quite a bit now but I did give in and take some codeine. I probably won't bother the on-call GPs or anything tonight but will keep a sharp eye on it and maybe give the physio a ring if it's still like this tomorrow.
.B.
Apr 2014
10:47pm, 17 Apr 2014
11,048 posts
  •  
.B.
Glad to hear it has eased. probably a good idea to talk to the physio tomorrow. I hope you get a decent night's sleep
Apr 2014
11:04pm, 17 Apr 2014
50,547 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
thats isnt right
Call the peep who did the acu tomorrow and feed back
Apr 2014
7:43am, 18 Apr 2014
50 posts
  •  
NelskiBL
My instinct here was to say, "Yikes! No!" My own experience of acupuncture left no pain afterwards - a few twinges during treatment for patellar tendonitis in my knee but it was fine afterwards. But, pausing for a quick Google, it seems that, infrequently, there can be pain after treatment and that should dissipate after 24 hours.

Article here:

acutakehealth.com
Apr 2014
8:00am, 18 Apr 2014
7,792 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I've had acupuncture recently for calf and hip injuries, never any pain afterwards. So not normal.
Apr 2014
8:11am, 18 Apr 2014
1,679 posts
  •  
Winded
I have some acupuncture from a physio as part of rehab from an operation and had no pain afterwards.

About This Thread

Maintained by Carpathius
I've been having physio including acupuncture on my shoulder and neck for seven weeks now. Normally...