Acts of major conformity

8 watchers
Oct 2016
10:41pm, 10 Oct 2016
27,454 posts
  •  
JenL
As the antithesis of Fetch's earlier thread...

I never go in through a door marked Exit or out through a door marked Entrance - the presence of the word Only is optional. Even if someone is holding the door open for me to go in, if it says "Exit", I'll walk on until I get to the entrance. Yes, even in heavy rain. No, I don't know why.
It isn't part of any metaphor, in case anyone wondered.

It's a very real thing.
crab
Oct 2016
11:35pm, 10 Oct 2016
13,899 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I got that wrong in Munich once where you have to get out of trains on one side, leaving the other side for people to get in. There is an announcement on the train which I understood in that I could have written the words down, but I failed to spot their significance.

If you get OUT on the IN side, you have the usual maze of passageways, lifts and escalators you find in underground stations with not a single sign to an exit, or even an up escalator. Eventually I went back down to the platform, entered a train and left it on the correct side and found my way to the surface.

I don't know whether that scarred me for life, but I will hardly ever, if at all, go through the wrong door.
Oct 2016
11:57pm, 10 Oct 2016
7,735 posts
  •  
Badger
Did exactly the same thing in 1987...
Oct 2016
7:42am, 11 Oct 2016
3,924 posts
  •  
Wobbling
I work for a police force. I don't think I could be more conforming if I was actually the queen.
Oct 2016
9:02am, 11 Oct 2016
1,098 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I fessed up to the Dartford Crossing company that their numberplate readers were misreading my numberplate and my account wasn't being debited. I figured they would work it out eventually and I didn't want some other poor sod to be hassled for crossing charges he didn't owe.
Oct 2016
9:12am, 11 Oct 2016
17,752 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I always follow rules and regulations quite carefully unless it suits be better not to.

I got a little annoyed with Mrs D recently when she chose to use the patient-only toilets on my hospital ward rather than Trek to the public loos.
Oct 2016
9:24am, 11 Oct 2016
13,608 posts
  •  
Atonal Miserabilist (AFKA TRO)
Even in a completely empty car park I'll never use the 'disabled', or 'loading', 'cars with children' or 'car sharing only' places.

Driving in the middle of the night with no one around, I'll rigidly observe lane discipline on roundabouts rather than slicing across for the shortest route.
Oct 2016
9:31am, 11 Oct 2016
3,916 posts
  •  
Red Ant
[Diogenes - don't let her use the patient loos in a Nuclear Medicine department :-o]
Oct 2016
9:41am, 11 Oct 2016
13,901 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
My wife would do the same as Dio's and it would annoy me.
Oct 2016
11:22am, 11 Oct 2016
27,457 posts
  •  
JenL
I'm also inclined to "Keep Left" when a notice says I should. If everyone else did the same it would work, you know crab

About This Thread

Maintained by JenL
As the antithesis of Fetch's earlier thread...

I never go in through a door marked Exit or out t...