Achilles pain

36 watchers
Mar 2015
9:35pm, 12 Mar 2015
173 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Hi I have been getting some Achilles pain. Haven't seen gp yet but lots of posts RR physio would I be better trying to see physio rather then go? Does anyone know how I can tell if I have tight calves? I know I have high arches . I haven't ran for last two weeks and the pain is gradually getting worse.
Mar 2015
9:46pm, 12 Mar 2015
5,704 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Hi TB - depends a little on your gp, I tend to go to a physio as my gp tends to say 'don't run as much'. I had an Achilles issue some years ago which was exacerbated by worn out shoes. There are good exercises you can do to help. A physio will soon tell you if your calves are tight - you'll know by the pain of the massage ;)
Mar 2015
9:56pm, 12 Mar 2015
174 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Hehe okay. I am lucky I've never suffered with any aches or niggles before and never had to see a physio or gp for injuries. If I'm honest I'm shocked as I don't run high miles or train hard . it wouldn't surprise me if I do have poor form. I will try a slow easy run over the weekend and see how I am. It started on the left and been more an ache for last 2 or 3 weeks but this week been much worse and started on right side too. However I have had a busy week at work and been on my feet much more than usual and was at a gig Monday night where I was on tiptoe quite a bit to try to see over people heads. I saw the charlatans if anyone wondering. So maybe explains why its been worse this week
Mar 2015
10:01pm, 12 Mar 2015
1,658 posts
  •  
Wazelle
Obvs. you are wearing flat shoes when you aren't running? If you have to wear heels most of the day and are only in flats when you run, it puts real strain on your Achilles.
Mar 2015
10:20pm, 12 Mar 2015
175 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Yes I do wear flats all the time actually I have never been good in heels
Mar 2015
7:29am, 13 Mar 2015
10,183 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Totalb, you might find it useful to invest in a foam roller and try some calf rollering. There's lots on t'internet about using a roller - have a look at this for example theguardian.com or there are innumerable videos on YouTube.

Rollering won't heal your achilles though. I would see a good physio for advice about yours. In my experience GPs aren't great with such problems, unless they happen to be a runner or sportsman themselves.
Mar 2015
11:45am, 13 Mar 2015
24,301 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
There is a specific exercise for Achilles - addresses symptom and removes cause. According to my gp AND physio, it is the only exercise to strengthen Achilles!

Google eccentric heel drops (I described in detail a few months back, but it's hard trawling back through pages and pages of the thread!)

Also, yes, rest, stretch calves, hams, foam roller the calves and hams (which is same as sports massage but cheaper and you can do it more frequently).

Causes - have you changed these: running up hills, running quicker (up on toes), running more miles (too soon), changed your running form (e.g. trying to land on your toes or forefoot) etc. ? A pain is usually caused by a change. Good luck, :-) G
Mar 2015
3:33pm, 13 Mar 2015
186 posts
  •  
larkim
It's slightly surprising that you describe your achilles as getting more painful over the last couple of weeks, despite no running. It's always worth going to see a physio, particularly one who understands runners / running, as a first port of call, even if they will most likely just prescribe the eccentric heel drops that HappyG has described - because then you can have some certainty that it is the achilles which are the issue, and not something else which you are mistaking for achilles soreness. I know £40 or so for a session is not cheap, and plenty of people would find that a real luxury, but if I have to shell out that once per year to get a physio to look at my latest niggle and point me in the right direction I consider that a sound investment to avoid long term injury and keep me running!
Mar 2015
6:27pm, 13 Mar 2015
177 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Thanks all. Maybe its not my archilles that was a self diagnosis. It did seem famuliar the symptoms when i read patient.co.uk.I did see your excercize description I have since read through entire thread and will try them and see. I so have a physio pal I might ask for advice

The only factor that I can think has made worse is more standing at work and being stood on tip toe at the gig on Monday. I havrnt ran much in last month and none at all in lasr fortnigt. Havrny knowingly chanved my form. I will look to getting a foam roller it sounds something good to get in the habit of doing.
Mar 2015
8:16pm, 20 Mar 2015
178 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Hi just to update I have been told its non insertional Achilles tendonosis. I think I will bite the bullet so to speak and see a sports physio as I wonder if the cause is partly bio mechanics with my running technique or lack of . it has been a good month at least since I ran regularly and three weeks since I've ran on it and its still no better. Typically I've had a couple of weeks at work stood up a lot which is unusual. Thanks for all your replies and good advice.

I have started doing some of the excercizes and hopefully they will help. I will ask the physio about the foam roller as I can imagine it is a good idea to do.

About This Thread

Maintained by Pace
Anyone got any ideas what might be causing my achilles pain. It has been with me about 6 weeks now, ...