Achilles pain

36 watchers
Jul 2019
7:33pm, 18 Jul 2019
3,292 posts
  •  
mr d
Been doing the exercises most days. Took 8 days of running. Ran a very gentle 1.5 miles Tuesday and then a gentle 2.1 tonight. 3-4 painful steps about halfway through and then end.

We'll see how it feels tomorrow morning. The 10k Friday week is a definite no (sad face).
Jul 2019
7:34pm, 18 Jul 2019
3,293 posts
  •  
mr d
Also hope your run went well FurryH.
Jul 2019
9:05am, 20 Jul 2019
1,863 posts
  •  
FurryH
It did thanks mr d. So much so I'm signed from the physio.

Love bupa as been given an email address to contact if I have problems as keep increasing the mileage. Got to do 30Kg lifts today. Using two rucksacs now 15kg front and back. :)

Now must not get carried away on and go and do a parkrun. ;)
Jul 2019
9:06am, 20 Jul 2019
1,864 posts
  •  
FurryH
opps typo signed off
Oct 2019
8:11am, 20 Oct 2019
1,925 posts
  •  
FurryH
It worked. Can comfortably do my club runs for 1hr 20 now. (8miles) Had a minor few niggles when i stopped doing lifts for a week or two. Have to remember to do lifts without weight before i run.
PK
Nov 2019
8:56am, 8 Nov 2019
61 posts
  •  
PK
I've developed/contracted (don't know what the correct term is) Achilles Tendinopathy too recently. Had increased my mileage (but not pace). It's sore on the ankle of my right foot which, I've been told, has a funny flick when running. i wear neutral shoes, but think I'll need to get that checked again to be sure.

GP and physio (friend) have both confirmed heel drops and some strengthening exercises, the same as the advice on this thread, so hoping not too long to fix. Not sore enough to stop running, in fact if I'm on the flat and tarmac there's no real pain at all - more when I stop.

Thankfully it's come at the end of the season and I've no more races to do. Also hope it'll clear up before Manchester training needs to start.
Aug 2020
5:54pm, 7 Aug 2020
11,612 posts
  •  
larkim
Strictly off-thread as there's no pain, bit for the last five or so days every now and then I've had a sensation of an invisible "thing" pressing against the back of my heel where there bone would join with the Achilles. It's difficult to describe as it is invisible, gives no pain and does not show any swelling etc. The best I can describe (and how I first noticed it) is as if a piece of cushioning in the heel of your shoe has dislodged and is pressing, softly and not awkwardly, against that part of your heel.

My initial thought is that it might be early indications of bursitis but as there's no pain at all, despite plenty of prodding, I'm at a loss. I've had no joy with Dr Google either as it's difficult to know how to get it early searched.

Anyone had anything similar / any thoughts as to what it might be (and whether carrying on running on it is a good idea or not!)?
Aug 2020
8:03pm, 7 Aug 2020
36,940 posts
  •  
Nellers
My achilles issue started so long ago that I can't remember what the early indications (that I ignored) were but if it's something you are aware of at the point where the tendon joins to the bone it would make me cautious at least. That's the position of what I had diagnosed as "insertion Tendonitis" which, like the idiot I have always been, I ignored because it would just go away and 2 years later I'm just about able to run short, gentle and reasonably regularly again at last.

I've got no idea what the issue you have might be but on the off-chance that it could be the start of something similar I'd strongly recommend that you get it looked at and checked out professionally before it gets worse. Hopefully that will just put your mind at rest that it's not anything serious.

I'd just hate anyone to have the length of time out from running that I've had.
Aug 2020
9:57pm, 7 Aug 2020
11,613 posts
  •  
larkim
Cheers Nellers, I've been cautious in the past with Achilles stuff. This is really odd as I've got no discomfort at all, but the advice to get a professional view is always ringing loudly in my (penny pinching and time poor) head!!
Dec 2021
10:57pm, 12 Dec 2021
139 posts
  •  
Shoddy
I have what sounds like an achilles problem. I can run, but the day after find it painful to lift my heel off the floor to begin with and walk awkwardly to avoid having to lift my heel and push off my toes. This gets worse after sitting or driving but eases as the day goes on and disappears after a day or two, at least until I run again.

I upped my mileage this year to train for London in October. Since then I’ve not run much except for Parkrun and the odd Sunday LSR with friends.

After today’s 10 miles my left achilles was very tender and painful to the touch, most noticeably just above the ankle.

I’ve come to the conclusion I can’t ignore it and have resolved to reduce mileage until it is sorted out. I have another marathon to start training for in January and hope to be rid of it by then.

I’ll try the heel drops recommended elsewhere, and maybe some hip and glute stuff too. Will keep you updated on progress.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Pace
Anyone got any ideas what might be causing my achilles pain. It has been with me about 6 weeks now, ...