•  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
runningandstuff.com
Jun 2017
2:40pm, 25 Jun 2017
12,941 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
I have no empathy at all with people that get hung up on such trivial stuff. But then I run for intrinsic benefits not extrinsic adolation.
Jun 2017
3:28pm, 25 Jun 2017
18,163 posts
  •  
Meglet
That's the one I was looking for Fleecy, thanks! Hadn't remembered it was one of Binks's
Jun 2017
4:12pm, 25 Jun 2017
3,659 posts
  •  
NDWDave
I had a chat a few weeks ago with someone who recorded his electric bicycle rides on strava and was chuffed he had a few power assisted KOMs
Jun 2017
10:01am, 26 Jun 2017
1,954 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
😅 I used the word Brutal in the title of yesterday's race on Strava. It actually was though.
Jun 2017
11:24am, 26 Jun 2017
36,393 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
There are informal strava rules about tandems. Same-sex tandem pairs can log their rides as rides and that's OK. Mixed-sex tandem pairs, however, are encouraged to log their rides as "workouts".

Bollox to that. Workout, indeed. Cheeky rascals!

(I accidentally took a MTB QOM on foot once, before I went back and edited the category from "Ride" to "Hike". I won't make that mistake with running because I don't put any of my runs on Strava.)
Jun 2017
11:49am, 26 Jun 2017
11,327 posts
  •  
Chrisull
I'm with strava on keeping the data clean too (although they could be a bit more sensible about it). Imagine if a web site ran a competition for say £10,000 and said one person, one entry and then let people who had at a btinternet email enter hundreds of times. And if that person boasted about it, and then won, everyone else would cry foul surely? Or in a general election if someone who lived next to a church was allowed to vote multiple times? That wouldn't be fair either would it? Data capture is massively important, and the integrity of data is what keeps people in and out of jobs (I know people who were sacked for messing up competition data). If you don't agree to those terms, don't sign up.

I flag people - if they've put a cycle ride into a run segment, as you can't work out what kind of time you should be competing against. Call segments a structured/motivated fartlek. I've been flagged myself, and managed to get the flag removed (I think it was someone disgruntled I'd nicked their segment by 1 second, as my time wasn't not unusual and was beaten a week later anyway). It's a good way of working out where you are in a training cycle, and the most useful aspect is the graph against your previous performances.

I'm not sure why it's willy waving, I don't publish my segment achievements on facebook or twitter, I don't blog about them. I do like to see - especially in races, where I compete against my peers, and how much time I gain or lose on certain sections. Who is stronger where, over what terrain/inclines. It can make a weekly trawl round the block for the 100th time that year more interesting. It's also a superb coaching tool. I am qualified coach.

I do agree that there are several options strava haven't implemented, such as letting a user specify their default upload and which would improve their site immeasurably. Bulk uploads of past data, rather than 1 by 1 would also be great. But they ain't anywhere near as responsive or friendly as fetch, and they're not really a social media site.
Jun 2017
12:45pm, 26 Jun 2017
2,270 posts
  •  
larkim
One thing that strava has definitely caused me to stop doing (which no doubt was annoying my friends!) was posting onto facebook every single run I did when I logged them with SportsTracker. Even though strava is not really a social media site, it's facebook-style feed is something I like (and would like Fetch to emulate for buddies) so I can (and do) keep an eye on people I'm in touch with and share their pain / joy / mumblings when they log an activity.

It still impresses me how much of the site remains free - I've dabbled in premium subscriptions every now and again when they are free, but never really seen anything worthwhile to me as a runner primarily. Finding the line where I'd be "forced" to subscribe (because they take away something valuable currently being provided as free) would be interesting. Perhaps segment creation, ability to add descriptions to runs, showing Grade Adjusted Pace, etc might be some of the things that would make me part with cash to use it?
Jun 2017
1:17pm, 26 Jun 2017
18,164 posts
  •  
Meglet
Good points Chris.

Maybe strava need to implement something here that sends you a message or pops up to say 'are you sure this is a run'?

Zwift (virtual bike racing using static bike/trainers) have fairly strict rules, especially for the top level racers who have to have power meters, but are also ok with allowing lower level users like me using virtual power with my basic turbo trainer. For power over certain levels they discount unless extra proof can be provided, I believe. And there's a little symbol displayed so you know if a rider has virtual power or a power meter.
Jun 2017
1:24pm, 26 Jun 2017
1,646 posts
  •  
jdarun
strava does automatically flag suspicious stuff - I used to get it all the time with my FR610 cos it was a hassle to set the workout type on the watch. Well actually not all the time, it was embarrassing when my bike rides were so slow it assumed I was running :-)

Not heard the thing about calling tandem rides workouts, not going to change them all manually. The local group know I'll be riding one anyway...

About This Thread

Maintained by magnumpti
Have any of you been accused of cheating by Strava?

I received an email from them last night say...